• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit in Photoshop Exhibiting Strange Behavior

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem with the right click on image Edit in Photoshop feature from Lightroom.  I have tried deleting preference files to reset, uninstall and reinstall both Lightroom and Photoshop and even done a deep clean and removed all traces of Adobe software before reinstalling Adobe CC and apps but the problem persists.  With Lightroom open and selecting edit in photoshop the image opens in photoshop but at 100% and the Photoshop interface behaves starngely.  Select a menu and the one four to the right opens, also an extension I have installed shrinks to one quarter its normal size and if I hover over it it shrinks further to become tiny.  If I open Photoshop before using Edit in Photoshop from lightroom the image opens as I expect and all the menus and extensions behave normally.  If  I Edit in Photoshop from Lightroom with Photoshop closed and get the above behaviour and then close the image in Photoshop and Edit in Photoshop from lightroom again the image dispalys same strange behaviour.  If I close Photoshop and reopen it it exhibits normal behaviour.  

I have Photoshop v 22.2.0   Lightroom  v 10.11  Camera Raw  13.1  The files from Lightroom are .nef files and the external editing prefs are  File Format:- Tiff,  Color Space:- ProPhotoRGB  Bit Depth:-  16Bits  Resolution:-  300  Compression:- None.

The same problem occours if I set file format to psd file type.

In summary if I edit in Photoshop from Lightroom with Photoshop open all good,  if  Lightroom has to start Photoshop I get the weird behaviour which won't go away until I restart Photoshop.  Apologies for being a bit wordy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Solved!!   As mentioned above I had change the compatability settings in the win 10 LR.exe properties to solve a odd sized menu text in LR on my new 32" 4K monitor which worked.  I have put these settings back to default and low and behold PS now opens as expected when using edit in PS from LR.  As a bonus the reason for changing these settings in the first place ie. over large menu text in LR has now gone away also and LR is behaving as I would expect, go figure!  Thanks for your patience hopef

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS Edit> Preferences> Performance uncheck Use Graphics Processor, close PS, and try LrC Edit in PS again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That cured the image coming in at 100% so now it comes in as expected but the PS menus and extensions are still behaving strangely as described earlier.  I've tried rolling back a version or two but still the same results.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating your graphics drivers as outlined at the below link. During the install select 'Clean Install.' What OS and GPU are you using?

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/update-graphics-driver.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My OS is win10x64  GPU Nvidia GTX 1650Ti  in a XPS 15 9500.  I went to the Dell site downloaded and installed both the Nvidia and Intel video drivers,  the Nvidia one they had as latest was actually  an earlier version than I had which I had recently installed from the Nvidia site but I went with it as thats the one they were recomending for my machine.  That went okay but unfortuneately no change in the strange behaviour described.  Not sure if it's relevant but they also recomended updating the Intel-Graphics Command Center which failed to install.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing, again not sure if it's relevant,  I installed DXO Nik filters in both Photoshop and Lightroom recently and when I did neither app would open can't remeber the exact error but searching Google someone suggested reinstalling VC-redist.x64  which fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing like a good Rabbit Hole!  So digging around this thread creator seems to have an identical problem to myself and his last post describes the exact same changes I made to the compatability settings to cure the same problem.  The problem is I can't remeber the original settings to test if reversing them cures the problem above.

Either way no cure seems to have been found, looks like a bug maybe.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/strange-behavior-quot-edit-in-photoshop-quot-settin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laptop graphics drivers need to be updated at the manufacturer's website (Dell) since they make changes to them.

Try the PS 22.2 update released yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep noted re the drivers.  I have updated to PS 22.2 and no change.  I mean a workaround is just remebering to start PS before sending an image from LR and leaving it open for the session which is no biggy but it would be nice to have things running as they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalls and updates use the old Preferences file, which may be corrupted. Try a Preferences file reset for PS. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!!   As mentioned above I had change the compatability settings in the win 10 LR.exe properties to solve a odd sized menu text in LR on my new 32" 4K monitor which worked.  I have put these settings back to default and low and behold PS now opens as expected when using edit in PS from LR.  As a bonus the reason for changing these settings in the first place ie. over large menu text in LR has now gone away also and LR is behaving as I would expect, go figure!  Thanks for your patience hopefully this post will halp anyone else with the same circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved!!   As mentioned above I had change the compatability settings in the win 10 LR.exe properties to solve a odd sized menu text in LR on my new 32" 4K monitor which worked. 

Glad to hear you got it resolved. Since LrC only runs on Windows 10 that's clearly not a good solution. For anyone else landing here right-click on the LrC shortcut, then on 'Adobe Lightroom Classic, and in Properties uncheck 'Run this program in compatibility mode for.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines