• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC (11.0.1) Edit in PS2022 fails because Photoshop could not be launched - Error Message

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating my subscription to Adobe for Photographers (Photoshop & Lightroom) I am having an issue when launching Photoshop 2022 from Lightroom v11.

If I right click on the image I'm working on in Lightroom and select 'Edit in Photoshop 2022' I am asked whether or not I want to edit a copy or the original (as I would expect). 

If I select "Edit Original" everything works to plan, the image opens in Potoshop and I can proceed.

However:

If I select either "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" or "Edit a Copy" I have an issue.
I can see the copy being created on the Film Strip at the bottom of the Lightroom screen, Photoshop starts up and stops at the launch screen but the image fails to open in photoshop.

If I wait for 2 or 3 minutes I recieve an error message in Lightroom: "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched"

If I then select 'OK' in the error message the image immediately opens in Photoshop and I can work away.

This morning an followup update to Photoshop 2022 (to Ver: 23.0.1) was installed and it made no difference.
This afternoon Camera Raw also had a followup update to Version 14.0.1 and it has made no difference.
The problem is still there.

Is this a bug or is there a some way I can fix the problem.

I'm using a Windows PC - Running Win 10 and it has 24gb of RAM

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Based upon customer reports, most issues have been reported fixed by either the remediation steps and/or the installation of Photoshop 23.1, released Monday, December 13, 2021. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Greetings all,

Update: Please install Photoshop 23.1, released on 12/13/2021 and let us know if we are still seeing the issue after updating Photoshop. 

Workaround:

To all those who may be experiencing this issue. Our investigations have found that, in some cases, GPU detection is causing this issue. 

A similar issue was resolved in this thread by following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/m-p/12519892#M598048

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 297 Replies 297
297 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support help me..

1. Run / appdata / Roaming / Adobe 

2. Then open (Adobe Photoshop 2022) and rename ( Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings) to another name or add (old) to it like: (Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings.old)

3. Then open (Lightroom) , open (Preferences) and rename ( Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs) to another name or add (old) to it like: (Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.-old.agprefs)

and it works now fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support help me..

1. Run / appdata / Roaming / Adobe 

2. Then open (Adobe Photoshop 2022) and rename ( Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings) to another name or add (old) to it like: (Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings.old)

3. Then open (Lightroom) , open (Preferences) and rename ( Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs) to another name or add (old) to it like: (Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.-old.agprefs)

and it works now fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now tried setting up a new administrative account.  I get exactly the same error message.

If this is a permission problem, how can I change permissions to make it work properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and I've tried unistalling and reinstalling both and Lighroom still isn't recognizing Photoshop. You are right it is very frustrating. Hopefull Adobe will fix this bug soon. Hope you find a way to get your clients photos done soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my post, LR referss to Lightroom Classic Desktop.

And I don't double click to move from LRC to PS, I right click on the file and ask it to open in Adobe PS 2022.

My first post to the forum so I gotta learn to be more specific...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quand je fais dans LRc modifier dans Photoshop 2022, J'ai le message après environs 1 minute (c'est long)  "Le fichier n'a pas été modifié, car adobe Photoshop 2022 n'a pas pu etre lancé".

Alors que : PhotoShop est ouvert (ou s'ouvre directement si pas ouvert) mais ne charge pas la photo tout de suite (comme l'ancienne version), la photo se charge au bout de 2min evirons.

C'est pas très pratique pour le traitement des photos !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed lightroom 11 and Photoshop 2022. When I click on an image in lightroom  to edit in Photoshop, Photoshop Launches  then nothing happens for 3 or 4 minutes, I then get a dialogue box pop up in lightroom which says ' The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be Launched. If I then close the dialogue box the image then opens in photoshop. Also I get no option to Edit a copy with lightroom adjustments or edit a copy or edit original. If I click on edit in other pluggins such as nik or topaz everything works fine. could anybody help to solve this. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both photoshop and lightroom several times as well as bridge and Camera Raw. before the upgrade everything worked Fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up, in PS inspect what version of Camera RAW is in use. If incorrect, upgrade Camera RAW. (do not assume the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop did so when upgrading PS)

Second up, in LrC, in Preferences, in the External Editors tab, inspect what edition of Photoshop is listed. If incorrect, uninstall PS then install PS

Also I get no option to Edit a copy with lightroom adjustments or edit a copy or edit original

You will not, and have not for some time, get that if the photo is RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic while trying to edit the images in Photoshop.

You can try uninstalling Camera Raw using the Creative Cloud cleaner tool. You can check the steps to use the Creative Cloud cleaner tool here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Once done, please go to the below mentioned location & remove the Camera Raw.8bi file (if its there).

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

Once done, re-install Camera Raw 14.0 using the installer from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try the following if you have not done so after installing Photoshop, boot the photoshop application and allow the application to be "initilised" prior to using the "edit in Photoshop function" from Lightroom.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens occasionally to me, and not just with the new version, but with previous versions. Photoshop is taking too long to open and Lightroom essentially has a mini panic and creates a TIFF file instead. Meanwhile Photoshop opens with the TIFF created from the file. When coming from a Raw file, it's not an issue as usually I'd be saving to a TIFF anyway. It's more of an annoyance. If not, I'd just delete the file and re-run the open in Photoshop. 

The options you're looking for are options based on opening a rendered file, like a Tiff or JPEG, you don't get those with a Raw file. Are you opening a rendered file? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated Lightroom (LR) and Photoshop PS) to versions 11 and 23.0 respectively When trying to move a file from LR to PS, my screen changes from LR
to PS and I wait for ~ 1 min and then get the message,
"The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched."
This has never happened in either LR or PS from multiple earlier versions of both programs.
Likewise, I now get a message in LR that says, "Lightroom was unable to prepare the selected file at C:\Users\User_Name\OneDrive\XXX.NEF for editing.
It will not be opened." The file referenced is the current open file in LR.

Am running a AMD Ryzen 3600x with an Nvidia Quadro K5000 (4GB VRAM), Win 10 Pro and have 16 GB ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have a problem, probably the same as here: Solved: Lightroom not opening Photoshop for Open as Layers - Adobe Support Community - 8646927

When I click in the Lightroom Edit in > open as layers in Photoshop, my Photoshop starts, but it does not open anything. In Lightroom I have a message: "The files could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched". I've tried many times, always the same result.

Could you check this issue, please? 

Thank you. 

Katarzyna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grand merci, mais ça ne fonctionne pas.

Meme comportement :   - J'ai suivi le mode opératoire à la lettre, j'ai désinstaller Camera Raw (et le fichier .8bi) et ré-installé.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some points have been posted on this as it relates to the new upgrades.

1. Start PS, let it initialize, that is complete any pop ups about what is new, etc. let it finish reading the preference file, etc. And open a photo, any photo, do a few edits, close. Point being to make sure PS install is complete, that PS start up is complete, and let it close neatly once.  Why? perhaps PS is timing out when competing with a first time start and LrC feeding at it.

2. In PS double check that it uses the new Camera RAW, did something go wrong with the Camera RAW upgrade? Some find they need to uninstall Camera RAW then install Camera RAW, some find they simply overlooked installing the upgrade.

3. In LrC, in preferences, in External Editing, is the correct PS version shown? Some find they need to uninstall PS then install PS.

4. Some have had to reset the PS preference files/settings, and perhaps the LrC preference file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a mac book pro user and I have the latest version of macOs Monterrey 12.0.1, LR 11.0 and PS 23.0.0. 

When I right click on my photo in LR and either open in Ps or open as smart objetc in PS none of the changes made in LR appear in PS.

Anyone knows what is hapenning? This is so weird.

Thanks .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a very similar problem. I am using Lightroom v 11, Photoshop 23.0.0 and Camera raw v 14. 'Edit in photoshop' does not work for raw files (RAF or DNG), but works corrrectly if I export the raw file to PSD and then use 'edit in Photoshop'. I have reinstalled Photoshop and Lightroom several time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advices. I've tried every of them, but unfortunately the problem still exists. I also uninstalled PS and LrC, cleaned the registry and installed again. I don't know even what could be wrong with them. But thanks for your comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to Chat with Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A list of possible solutions, no guarantees.

An odd one, before sending an image from LrC to the new PS, start PS, let it completely open, even edit a photo, just to make sure it is finished initializing. Close PS, open LrC, try one.  No reason to repeat this later.

In LrC, in preferences, in external editors, is the correct version of Photoshop listed? If not, uninstall PS then reinstall PS

In PS, is the correct Camera RAW plugin listed? If not, did you accidentally not install the upgrade? If you did, uninstall Camera RAW and reinstall Camera RAW.

Some have had to reset the preference files for Both PS and LrC. Preferences files can get corrupted leading to buggy behavior.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Warning, doing so will revert many settings to defaults

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have done this and rebooted but a problem persists. The precise sequence  has changed: If I right click on a raw file in Lightroom and choose 'edit in photoshop' Photoshop opens but the iamge does not appear.  The background of the photoshop icon on the task bar flashes organge. After a minute or so in lightroom a dialogue box tells me that Photoshop 2022 could not be launched. When I click OK Lightroom creates an edit.psd file and opens it in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate