Exit

Edited versions of NEF files disappeared after migration to new HDD

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community,

I have a bit of an odd problem.

Recently migrated my catalog as well as all my images from Mac to Windows (do not recommend this btw). Moved the Catalog from Mac internal HDD to external exFAT HDD, and then moved all the pictures from the same external HDD formatted for Mac, to the exFAT partition, so now the pics and the catalog both live on the exFAT partition.

Overall, the migration seemed to be successful. Although what was odd, is that after launching Lightroom Classic on the Windows machine with the HDD plugged in, I selected that same Catalog that I transferred from Mac, and it launched, however it did not have any pictures in the library at all. I thought this was strange, as I was under the impression it will remember the whole library, I'll just have to direct it to the new location of the images.

Nevertheless, I imported the images into Lightroom, and all seemed well.

But I did notice something very strange and very concerning - a good chunk, maybe 80% of my Edited images are missing. When I try to link them to the new location, Lightroom tells me that file is already associated with an image in the library, and it just shows me the original, unedited NEF. Problem is, I remember that I edited and then exported that same image. So it seems that it finds the original NEF files, but it does not find the Edited pictures (which I thought was the same file unless you create a copy?).

This is really troubling because I don't want to lose all the edited NEFs I made 😞

Does anyone have any idea what the problem here might be? I'm totally stumped.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction - seems like every single Edited picture is missing, it's just that for some of them Lightroom was still displaying the thumbnail so I thought it was there, but just noticed there's the exclamation point in the corner for all of them.

Basically every single picture I edited on Lightroom Classic is missing after the migration, however the unedited NEF is still there in its respective folder in the library, just with no edits.

How can I recover the Edited photos? Do they live in some specific location? I still have access to the Mac machine and the photo library that was on the Mac compatible partition in the HDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing makes LrC think that this is an entirely new photo that it has never seen, with no edits.

The edits are in your catalog file somewhere.

When I try to link them to the new location, Lightroom tells me that file is already associated with an image in the library, and it just shows me the original, unedited NEF.

This is an indication that somehow, you now have two copies of the photo in the catalog. You need to find both of them (search by clicking on All Photographs, then turn off filters, and search using the filter bar by file name), and then it should be clear where your edits are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevertheless, I imported the images into Lightroom, and all seemed well.

That was probably a mistake.

In the folders panel, make sure the parent folder is visable, 

Does the parent or any other folder have a ? mark, as in missing folder.

see: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Do you still have the original catalog and photos on the older computer? Perhaps you can try the process over, see the following

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines