• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a photo in photoshop through lightroom (photo in lightroom -> edit in photoshop)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Latest version of lightroom and photoshop.

2. Windows 11

3. After choosing a photo in lightroom, and choosing "edit in photoshop" - when returning the photo back to lightroom...it is sometimes saved in its original place in the photo strip..but sometimes unpredictably goes to the very end of the photos strip - and I have to drag it every time to its place manually over a thousand photos.

Is this a bug? Or I am missing something?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that Sort order is set to File name, and the image from Photoshop will appear next to the original.

Lightroom sometimes changes sort order to Added order by itself, in which case it will appear at the end in Library.

You set the sort order in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. If you can't see it, press T.

You can also set sort order by going to View menu > Sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.

My problem now is that I always use custom order (I reorder the pictures quite often).

It would be great if the picture would just appear in its original place...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image file that is created when you save image from PS after you have completed your work is a new image.

Just a thought.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.

My problem now is that I always use custom order (I reorder the pictures quite often).

It would be great if the picture would just appear in its original place...

By @georgisp

Are you working out of a folder or a collection? On my Mac system when working from a collection with Custom Order set, there's no issue  as the returning file is placed in front of the original, but neither are moved out of position in the Custom Order. If "Stack with Original" (Preferences>External Editing tab) is checked or unchecked it makes no difference to the positioning of the returned file and the original, it only affects if the returned image is stacked with the original or not.

However, when working out of a folder, the behaviour is different in that the returned images AND the original are moved to the top of the grid. That is when "Stack with Original" is checked.

But with "Stack with Original" unchecked only the returned image is positioned near the front of the grid (but not always the very front), but the original remains in its original position. 

So the behaviour when working from a folder with Custom Order set feels like a bug.

I had tested the situation of working out of a collection on my Win10 system as well as on my Mac, and that worked correctly as well. Didn't check the situation working from a folder, I'll test that tomorrow. 

In the meantime, it would be useful to know if you are working from a collection or a folder, and how the "Stack with Original" option is set in Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Jim, you stated "Are you working out of a folder or a collection?

This is no issue for me my folder and sub-folder structure is in strict date order and so are the original raw files in order of capture in my camera.

Therefore the returned image from PS will appear next to the original in the Collection and the Folder.

When I view an image in a  Collection I will know where the original is by the Capture date.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Jim, you stated "Are you working out of a folder or a collection?

This is no issue for me my folder and sub-folder structure is in strict date order and so are the original raw files in order of capture in my camera.

Therefore the returned image from PS will appear next to the original in the Collection and the Folder.

When I view an image in a  Collection I will know where the original is by the Capture date.

By @DdeGannes

I'm sure you're right, Denis, when you use Capture Date sort order....but the OP stated that they are using Custom Order, not Capture Date order, which is what I was testing. And that produces different results on my Mac depending on the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had tested the situation of working out of a collection on my Win10 system as well as on my Mac, and that worked correctly as well. Didn't check the situation working from a folder, I'll test that tomorrow. 

I've now tested the scenario of working out of a folder using Custom Order on my Windows system, and it produced a similar result. Specifically the original and derivative are placed at the end of the grid, not the beginning of the grid as per the Mac. I investigated that difference and realised that the sort direction was set Z to A on my Mac, A to Z on Windows, so when I changed the sort direction back to A to Z on the Mac the result was then the same as per Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Latest version of lightroom "-  It could be anything! It could be Lightroom or Lightroom-Classic. Which is it? And quote the Version Number for clarification. (Your post in the LrC forum does not confirm the App version.)

Answers given above are moot if you are not using Lightroom-Classic.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Latest version of lightroom "-  It could be anything! It could be Lightroom or Lightroom-Classic.

You're right of course, Rob. It was an assumption on my part that the OP is using Classic, so confirmation of that would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, Rob....testing using Custom Order in Lightroom desktop, the returned derivative and the original are stacked automatically and moved to the end of the Grid! If the derivative is subsequently deleted, the original moves back to the original place in the Custom Order (that also seems to be the case with LrC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

So, I am using Lightroom Classic version: 12.1 (Photoshop 24.1.1)

I am always working out of a folder in custom order.

The "Stack with Original" option does not make a difference.. both checked and unchecked, the returned photo from photoshop goes to the end of the grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can choose automatic sorting or manual sorting for a given folder. 

I don't see how to reconcile images both remaining in whatever sequence we've put them in, and changing their sequence all by themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, as I said earlier, when working out of a folder in Custom Order what you experience is similar to what I see, and that is different to working out of a collection. Although it's inconsistent, as even within the same catalog I can get different behaiour in different folders.

To be honest, I'm not sure which of the two behaviours is wrong, but as I can't see why they should be different I'd say it's safe to assume that one of them is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines