• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing between PC & MAC, photoshop edits missing.

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment I'm working from two comptuers, my MacPro laptop and my new custom PC. I'll work on my laptop at my day job, then come home back up the catalog and copy it to my PC but when working on my PC after all my photoshop edits are gone. 

On my Mac I'll *command E* to open the photo from lightroom to photoshop, do edits, save and it'll pop up as a "2nd" version of that photo in lightroom. On my Mac they're always there but when copying it to my PC the photoshop versions are alway missing and I can't locate the PSD files since it auto gets saved back into lightroom. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

And notice the authors last bit

"and I can't locate the PSD files since it auto gets saved back into lightroom. "

Author is misunderstanding where the photos get filed, author is only copying the catalog, not the photos,not the exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm which version (the version number) of Lightroom you are using.

How are you synchronising the images between the two computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you remember to copy your photos? Remember those photos are not in the catalog. Any new photos, such as a photo from PS created as a result of edit in PS, are not in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you remember to copy your photos? Remember those photos are not in the catalog. Any new photos, such as a photo from PS created as a result of edit in PS, are not in the catalog.

By @GoldingD

Yup, that's what I was getting at when I asked how the photo library is synchronised between computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And notice the authors last bit

"and I can't locate the PSD files since it auto gets saved back into lightroom. "

Author is misunderstanding where the photos get filed, author is only copying the catalog, not the photos,not the exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly, but let's wait from them to respond first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized this after a little while! Normally I'm working between the two computers but on an SSD, so all the photoshop files were on there, but that has died so I've been working on the actual computers. I didn't realize where the photoshop files were being stored and once I moved all of them over it all popped up fine. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop files default to Tiff unless you've changed to PSD.. There's no reason to prefer PSD as Tiff does the same job, but is readable by more programs. These usually save to the same folder as the original file. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thrilled to be navigating the creative world seamlessly between PC and MAC! However, noticed a tiny hiccup with Photoshop edits going MIA. No worries, though – problem-solving mode activated! Let's troubleshoot together and keep the creative juices flowing!  Check out for some handy tips and tricks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines