Exit

editing with photoshop and lightroom - infos not saved

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Here is my problem:

I'm editing a picture on Lightroom, where I make some changes in the photo (blacks and white balance, for exemple). Than I realize I need some Photoshop alterations and I click Command+E. I pick 'edit original photo', than I make the alterations I need on Photoshop.

When I'm done, I click Command+W to close and save the picture.

When I return to LR all the changes I previously made on LR are lost. The picture is like I first opened the file. All the changes I made on LR on that particular image are lost.

How can I edit a picture on PS and not lose the alterations I previously made on LR?

Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not use a save function like Photoshop. Lightroom automatically saves all the work you do in Lightroom to the Lightroom Catalog file. Lightroom never alters the Original File.

In Lightroom when you use the edit in function to send an image to Photoshop it should automatically send the image file to Photoshop with your Lightroom edits. If that is not happening then it means that the versions are not at the same level. If you get a dialog box with options you should choose to send the file with Lightroom rendering. If you choose to send the "Original" that is what the original file will be sent without edits.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that te LR and PS versions are not compatible?

I'm using LR Classic version 8.3.1 and Photoshop 2019.

I never had this king of problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do you mean that te LR and PS versions are not compatible?

I'm using LR Classic version 8.3.1 and Photoshop 2019."

I was referring to the compatibility of Lightroom and PS Plugin Adobe Camera Raw.

This is not applicable in this case was the files are jpeg format not a raw file format.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a little further to the above post:

In your Lightroom Preferences menu (External editors tab) you can make some choices there for the file on its journey back to Lightroom.

If you have not checked that, its worth a good long look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that. I checked that menu. I dont know what else to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This always was kind of logical to me. But I'm shooting raw and when saving back, I save TIFF.

A work around could be to create a virtual copy and copy than the settings back to the edited file.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you edit the original, then the resulting image should still have its Lightroom edits when it comes back in Lightroom. You only get the dialog where you can pick ‘Edit Original’ if you send an RGB photo to Photoshop, however. If you send a raw photo, that dialog will be skipped. That suggests that perhaps you sent a JPEG file to Photoshop. If your Photoshop edits include adding a layer, then that file cannot be saved as JPEG any longer, because JPEG does not support layers. It will be saved as a TIFF or PSD copy, and that would explain why the original edits are gone when this copy comes back in Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur, thanks for reminding me of the correct procedures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you reply.

I shoot JPG. As you said, the resulting image should still have tis LR edits when it comes back in LR. I can't understand why the LR edits are gone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I am getting a bit confused.

Screenshot 2019-07-05 at 10.25.10 AM.png

So when I do an edit in to send a jpeg to Photoshop I get the options as shown above and I would select the options shown.

The screen capture below show the options I have selected in Lightroom Catalog preferences. You will note under the editing headings I do not have, Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD selected, nor Automatically write changes into XMP.

It is my personal preference not to select those options. What options do you have selected.

Screenshot 2019-07-05 at 10.30.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom are you using? Please be exact, just go and click on Help, click on System Information. and copy the version, then paste in your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic Version 8.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for clarity. Highly unlikely you are using a RAW file. Is your file a JPEG? a TIFF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A jpg file. I shoot jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rejanewolff  wrote

A jpg file. I shoot jpeg.

Yes, as suspected as current LR Classic would not inquire about using the original, etc, for a RAW source.

As JPEG files are so small, have you considered editing a copy with lightroom edits?

Also, while this should not be happening in your workflow, are you sure tat PS did not save as another name? Perhaps with -edit added to the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did consider editing a copy with lightroom edits, but that would be a problem if I decided to make an extra alteration after PS os even converting the image to B&W for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose the third option in the dialog box (as shown in my post #7). Edit original file then that is what it will process the original file without you prior edits and then when PS saves the altered file it will replace the one that was there previously. If you wish to retain the original file with your LR edits then you have to use either of the one that will generate a copy.

Look at the screen capture of the dialog box and read carefully including the grey comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just in case. The image upon return to Lightroom, are you basing loss of earlier LR edits based on history, or upon actual appearance of image on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply: Based on history and appearance. All the panels and sliders are back to 'start' position, with 'zero' values. The weird thing is that all the changes I previously made are shown at the 'history' panel.

Question: And just in case. The image upon return to Lightroom, are you basing loss of earlier LR edits based on history, or upon actual appearance of image on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rejanewolff  wrote

All the panels and sliders are back to 'start' position, with 'zero' values. The weird thing is that all the changes I previously made are shown at the 'history' panel.

What does the latest entry in the history panel say? Does it show an action that could explain that the sliders are back at zero (like ‘Reset’) or not?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Johan, sorry to butt in, if you look at my recent post you will realise that the original poster used the option to  Edit Original.

The original file was a jpeg and Photoshop did what Photoshop will do when save the file after editing, it replaced the Original file on disk and in Lightroom. That's why the info is no longer in the Catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes  wrote

That's why the info is no longer in the Catalog file.

The previous edit info for the JPG (and TIFF) is STILL in the catalog.  You just have to click the TOP history step to reapply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, but I've never had to do that before. I don't understand why the edits don't automatically appear when I return to LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware that when you use "Edit Original" in Lr on a JPG or TIFF file in Photoshop and then do a SAVE you are changing the original JPG file so you have lost your non-destructive workflow. You should be using "Edit a Copy with Lr Adjustments" to not affect the original JPG.

Also note that the dialog tells you the edits will not be visible.  This applies to both Lr and Photoshop.  (unless you do the TOP edit click trick.)

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 3.03.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines