Exit

editing with photoshop and lightroom - infos not saved

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Here is my problem:

I'm editing a picture on Lightroom, where I make some changes in the photo (blacks and white balance, for exemple). Than I realize I need some Photoshop alterations and I click Command+E. I pick 'edit original photo', than I make the alterations I need on Photoshop.

When I'm done, I click Command+W to close and save the picture.

When I return to LR all the changes I previously made on LR are lost. The picture is like I first opened the file. All the changes I made on LR on that particular image are lost.

How can I edit a picture on PS and not lose the alterations I previously made on LR?

Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes  wrote

@ Johan, sorry to butt in, if you look at my recent post you will realise that the original poster used the option to  Edit Original.

The original file was a jpeg and Photoshop did what Photoshop will do when save the file after editing, it replaced the Original file on disk and in Lightroom. That's why the info is no longer in the Catalog file.

I’m sorry, but this is nonsense. Yes, I am aware from the very beginning of this discussion that the OP used ‘Edit Original’ (see my first post in this thread). But that is exactly the point. If you apply Lightroom edits to a jpeg, then those edits will be stored in the catalog, just like with raw edits. If you you send this jpeg to Photoshop with ‘Edit Original’ as option, make some edits in Photoshop and hit ‘save’, then the original jpeg will be overwritten by the photoshop edited jpeg. That is all correct. But that does not do anything to the metadata in the Lightroom catalog. Why would it? On return in Lightroom you should still see the Lightroom edits and any other added metadata like keywords on top of the Photoshop-changed jpeg. I do this quite often with scanned images as tiff files.

Also please read the info given by the OP more carefully. He writes “The weird thing is that all the changes I previously made are shown at the 'history' panel.”. How do you explain that if the info is no longer in the catalog as you say?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly my point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have seen this before in this forum. This may be a bug in the latest version of Lightroom. You should not have to click on the top entry in the history to re-apply the edits like Bob said, but apparently that is the case right now.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanElzenga  wrote

I think I may have seen this before in this forum. This may be a bug in the latest version of Lightroom. You should not have to click on the top entry in the history to re-apply the edits like Bob said, but apparently that is the case right now.

It seems like a bug too me or at least an unintuitive design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well guys, thanks for your time.

At least, knowing this is a bug makes me fell less dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanElzenga​  For me the history is still there BUT I have to click on the TOP history step to restore all the original Lr edits.  (for both JPG and TIFF).  Lr 8.3.1 and MacOS 10.14.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bob+Somrak  wrote

JohanElzenga   For me the history is still there BUT I have to click on the TOP history step to restore all the original Lr edits.  (for both JPG and TIFF).  Lr 8.3.1 and MacOS 10.14.5

I had not tried it for a long time (and I can’t now because I’m typing this on my iPad), but it seems this is indeed a bug and for much longer than I would have thought: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/develop-settings-applied-to-tiff-disappear-af...

Go there and add your vote. Maybe somebody at Adobe will wake up and fix it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to my previous comment, If I don't click on the Top History Step and do another edit  only the NEW edit is applied to the photo and the edit is placed on top the existing history but all the history steps below are ignored although still shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification, I will keep this in mind for future work with jpegs. Over 98% of my files in my Lightroom Catalog so its not often I work with jpegs.

When I create jpegs for printing, sharing etc they remain in my system until utilised and then deleted to the trash.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rejanewolff  wrote

The weird thing is that all the changes I previously made are shown at the 'history' panel.

If you are doing an Edit In PS of a JPG file and use Edit Original, just click on the TOP history item in Lr when you come back from Photoshop and all your Lr edits will magically be restored and you also keep the Photoshop edits.  This is because the original JPG file referenced by Lr has been changed by Photoshop.  You HAVE to click the top history item in Lr to make this work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines