• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EHD crashed. Adding new EHD with photos already on it.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has question marks on each folder on my new EHD.  I have tried to "Find Missing Folder" and point to where it is on the new EHD,but it doesn't go anywhere or let that process start.  New Files are identical to the crashed files, but just on new EHD.  I read where I need to add a "Folder" but I already have many folders on the new EHD.  How do I make this work?  I have over 8,000 files so would like a fairly easy solution.  Thanks so much.

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 7.40.48 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do get the message: The Selected folder or one of its subfolders is already in Lightroom.  Do you want to combine these folders?  My options are Cancel or Merge?  I am leary to select Merge beause I don't know what that will do.  Don't want all my folders to Shuffle.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that your new EHD has a different name than the old EHD.

Lightroom only knows about the old EHD, so if Find missing folder doesn't work, you'll have to rename the new EHD, and give it the same name as the old EHD. I'm not a Mac user, so I don't know if that's possible to do.

Whatever you do, do not reimport. Lightroom will consider all these photos new, and all your previous edits will be missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming a disk is easy. You have to do it in the Macintosh Finder. If you give the new disk the exact same name as the old disk had, then Lightroom will not see the difference, so it should not show missing folders anymore.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all.  I did get it resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once caveat on the rename; The folder structure has to be identical to the old drive for automatica connection. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines