• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Code 36 trying to load Lightroom catalog in new LRC Installation

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my Apple iMac computers and cannot get an existing catalog to load.  Before shutting down the old iMac, I saved the catalog to an external drive.  On my new computer running Monterey OS, I have a fresh install of Lightroom Classic.  I have tried both opening LRC and then Open Catalog, or, going to my external drive and double clicking on the lrcat file and get mostly the same results.

1. Double clicking on the lrcat file:  I get an error message that says "Failed to initialize pixel-mask storage.  Failed to create lock file inside the folder xxxxxxxxxx (the file name of the lrcat that i'm trying to open, not a folder).  The process cannot access the folder because it is being used by another process. 

2. From LRC, Open Catalog - there is an initial message saying that the catalog needs to be repair, and then I get the Failed to Initialize Pixel-mask storage. 

When I try to copy/paste to another hard drive, I get "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in Lightroom Catalog xxxxxx" can't be read or written". All permissions are open that I can see and there is no reason why it shouldn't copy/paste.  Tells me its something in the file and not the hard drive.

I've spent a couple hours trying to find and understand possible solutions, but I'm not finding anything that seems to be the ticket to fixing this.  Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you've updated to Lightroom Classic 12.0.1. This is a known issue with catalogs on an external disk getting corrupted in version 12.0.

• Go to the catalog location > Right-click on the .lrdata file > select 'Show Package Contents'.
  • Delete the file named 'Current.'
  • Relaunch Lightroom Classic - twice. (The first relaunch returns the error, the following relaunch works)

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-error-message-failed-to-initialize-pi...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johan!  I appreciate your response. When I go in to Package Contents, I see two .docstore files and one .wfindex file....nothing with the word current in the file name or extension. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johan!  I appreciate your response. When I go in to Package Contents, I see two .docstore files and one .wfindex file....nothing with the word current in the file name or extension. 

By @jpeder55

Sounds like you did not open the correct package. The text I quoted from the link is confusing in that respect. This is what 'Show Package Contents' shows when I do that with the lightroom catalogname.lrcat-data file on my computer:

1 2022-11-02 20-25-49.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, I was in a different folder.  Thank you.  When I go in to my lrcat-data folder and Show Package Contents, this is what I see.  Underneath those folders there are more folders and in each of those are small files with numerical names.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be an old copy. The name suggests that this is from your old catalog, before it was updated to version 12.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise that you didn't get a chance to upgrade your catalog, because the error occurred as soon as you start Lightroom. So try this: Move this file out of the catalog folder completely and then try again. Lightroom can rebuild it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure I understand what you're saying, so I'm clear...so, move the .lrcat file to a different location on my external drive.  Open lightroom, Open Catalog, go to new copy and see what happens?  If successful, it will load.  then LRC will rebuild catalog in location that is set in my LRC preferences.      btw, I can't thank you enough for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the .lrcat file is your catalog file. Move the .lrcat-data file out of the catalog folder and try again to open the catalog. The lrcat-data file is causing the problems, but the remedy posted in the thread I linked to and quoted from assumes you've already managed to upgraded the catalog. In your case that isn't true. Removing the problem file should allow Lightroom to open the catalog, and upgrade it to a version 12 catalog. If this is successful, then the only thing left is that your AI masks will have to be updated. That's what was stored in the lrcat-data file. Lightroom can rebuild the masks so that might be a bit of a pain, but it will work and get you going again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, great!  thank you for the clarification.  I will have to attempt tomorrow, or later tonight.  It sounds like that could be a great solution.  I'll update the thread when I have tried that.  Have a wonderful rest of the day.  You have been so amazingly helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Johan,

I wanted to follow back up with you....I got everything working and catalog rebuilt.  Thank you so very much for all of your help and knowledge!   I really apprecaite it.  Have a wonderful day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog is from an 11.5 version and I'm trying to load it in a 12.0.1.  I can't upgrade to 12 on this old machine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and yes, I am running 12.0.1....brand new fresh install today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines