• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Code "The specified folder is not writable"

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new external drive to replace a smaller one that all my photos are stored on.  I moved these photos to the new drive within Lightroom Classic.  Now when I try to export to this new drive I receive the error code "The specified folder is not writable".  I can write to this drive from other applications so this appears to be a LR issue.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am a Windows 11 user.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to check the permissions in your operating system on the EXACT folder you are trying to export to. They must allow WRITE permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  Please advise exactly where this should be done.  I have changed it in my windows registry, in disk management, under properties for that drive and have even changed the individual permissions on the individual folder.  I have seen this reply to a similar question by others but I have exhausted where this should be done that it will actually make a difference.  Is there somewhere within LF that I need to do this? I am baffled that Lightroom allowed me to move everything to this drive (after installing mfg. exe. file for windows) and allows me to access and edit any of this moved files but now refuses to allow me to save anything to that same drive.  And as I stated above this is only happening in LR, other programs can save to it with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the permissions on the export folder should be sufficient. Please show us a screen capture of the Export dialog box so we can see the folder chosen; and please also show us a screen capture of the permissions on this exact folder. Use the "Insert Photos" icon to include your screen captures in your reply. Do not attach files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo 1-2 - external drive "D" persmissions

Photo 2-2 - LR export location - This is the drive the photos are on

Photo 3-2 - Error when export now selected

Photo 4-2 - Folder with photos located on this drive permissions

Photo 5-2 - Folder reverts back to this when opened the next time

I can save to another drive/file and then drag & drop them into the original folder but that adds an additional step I have never had to do.

Throwing a windows question in here that could possibly relate to this (I don't know).  I renamed this drive "D".  I did not realize at the time that Drive D is actually a partition on the hard drive on the computer.  Could this be the problem?  And if so would renaming the drive correct this problem?  Please understand I am grabbing at straws here.  I know enough to be dangerous... LOL.1-2.JPG2-2.JPG3-2.JPG4-2.JPG5-2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My recommendation is,

After making the permission preferences, shut down / power off your computer and reboot your system and then LrC.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I have done this numerous times to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have specifically asked for the Folder (not the disk) to have the proper permissions, and that's what I want to see, permission on the export Folder (not permissions on the disk). The drive permissions are irrelevant. Also, since you have selected "Export to same folder as original photo" in the Export dialog box, you need to show a screen capture from LrC indicating what folder the original photo is in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize but I thought I gave you what you asked for in the last two photos.  That is the folder the photos are stored in, the folder I access when editing in LR and where the edited photos are stored.  Apparently this is not what you mean by asking for the "export folder".  Apparently there is some 'folder' within LR that is used when exporting?  I would appreciate if you could advise where I can find this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this is a new install of LR on a new computer I went back to my older desktop to test the drive on that installation of LR.  I can export to the external drive with no problems.  For some reason this appears to be a problem only on this install of LR.  I am going to uninstall and reinstall the LR application.  I have spent way to much time and effort trying to remedy this problem.  Thanks for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You show permissions for Drive D, but you do not show permissions for the folder where the photos are stored (and where the export will be written).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines