• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message: Lightroom cannot use the catalog named Lightroom 6 as it is not writable and cannot be opened

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR6 on a PC and this morning I cannot open LR6 - I am getting the following message - "Lightroom cannot use the catalog named "Lightroom 6" as it is not writable and cannot be opened".  I have checked forums and checked that I have read and write permissions and I have also checked my LR folder to make sure that there is not a lrcat.lock file preventing the opening of LR.

Any suggestions what to do next please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Does LR fail to open completely or is it creating a new catalog. If it is creating a new catalog where is that catalog stored?

Check the Top Level, ROOT, folder for the proper permissions. Could be that Top Level folder had it permissions changed so even though the folder that holds the catalog file has the correct permissions if the folder or folders above it are restricted it will stop access to the lower subfolders.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does LR fail to open completely or is it creating a new catalog. If it is creating a new catalog where is that catalog stored?

Check the Top Level, ROOT, folder for the proper permissions. Could be that Top Level folder had it permissions changed so even though the folder that holds the catalog file has the correct permissions if the folder or folders above it are restricted it will stop access to the lower subfolders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR fails to open completely - it is not creating a new catalog.  I have checked the Top Level permissions and they are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your OS and where is your catalog located???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple fact is you have a Permissions problem. Not sure where and what you are checking but if LR won't open the existing catalog and can't create a new catalog in the default folder for new catalogs then it "IS" a permissions problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to check the permissions on the folder where the catalog is being created, not just the top level folder. Even then, if it shows as writable it's worth toggling the settings from and to, as sometimes they misbehave.

Everything you describe is a permissions issue as everyone else is saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem when restoring a Lightroom catalog from a back-up to a new computer.  

I found that there's a "read only" option in the properties section that had gotten checked.  Right click on your lightroom catalog.  Click on "Properties."  On the General tab look at the very bottom.  Uncheck "read-only."  I had to do the same for all supporting files in my Lightroom folder (helper, previews, etc). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines