• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excessive memory usage using Lightroom Classic on MacBook Pro 2021

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest (v11.0.1) native Lightroom Classic for a normal sequence of import, edit, export photos on a 16Gb MacBook Pro 2021 quickly led to amber memory pressure and the unwelcome creation of a. swap file.

Swapping that Pro machine for a 32Gb Max one did not completely solve the problem, although it takes a bit longer for the swap file to appear.

Since the M1 Macs have been available at retail for a year, I had expected Lightroom Classic to have been performance tuned for the new machines by now.  It clearly isn't.  I can run Lightroom fine on an iPad M1, so  it surely must be possible to do substantively the same job on a MacBook Pro if the issue is prioritised for software engineering resource. 

I do like using Lightroom but I don't want to spend more on a higher spec machine, which would consume more battery, to run it, particularly as Lightroom is already power hungry. 

In the meantime I'll have a look at the performance (speed, power consumption) of some of the alternatives to get a feel for the state of the art.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Internet search on

M1 memoey leaks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most, if not all are due to user misunderstanding or macOS reporting anomalies. For example, LrC using 400GB virtual memory resulted in 2 page thread on Mac Rumors. Hmm, big issue until you find that every app is reporting near enough the same amount of VM.

Screenshots for M1 Mac mini with 16GB ram

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be a different problem. In my case, Lightroom Classic behaves well, until it doesn't (ie, until memory pressure rises and the swap file fills).  It may well be the GPU, but it is disconcerting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swap file

Ok, speaking of the Camera RAW CACHE, how much are you allowing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw (CR) cache is used to speed up the 'loading time' of proprietary raw file in Develop module (note that DNGs use internal JPEG called 'Fast Load Data', and doesn't use the CR cache). However, the CR cache file is only used for a few seconds whilst LrC renders the full raw file into memory. The size of a CR cache file can typically range from a few hundred KB to 3 or 4MB each. With a really large CR cache you can have lots more CR cache files thus allowing near libary speed louping from file to file in the develop module. Seems like a great idea until...  The problem with treating the Develop module like it was the Libray is that the when you start louping in Develop module, then the actual raw file gets loaded and rendered, and since these can typically be100MB or more. LrC Develop module will also prefetch raw files to help speed up the raw rendering. Therefore, even though you may not loupe from file to file, the app will load and render some. The more ram you have installed, the more LrC will prefetch and render. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My camera produces DNGs so CR cache may not be relevant.  In any case I have just left it at the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2 years on and the memory hogging doesn't seem to have improved.  With a 32Gb M2 Max it should not take 10Gb of swap file to edit Sony RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suffered from the same issue on my 16GB 14-Inch Macbook Pro.

I found that turn GPU acceleration down from Full to Basic mitigated this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines