Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Explicitly create duplicates when/before merging catalogs

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have two catalogs that I would like to merge with some common images. Ideally, I could just "Import from catalog" and tell LR to ignore duplicates (import them as an independent image, not adjusting metadata and/or virtual copies) but unfortunately, that's not an option. To work around, I already renamed (prefixed) the images I would like to merge but they still get detected as duplicates. Other than the file name, what else do I need to make unique for this to not happen?

Thanks,
Andras

ps: I know this is not the best possible workflow but I have a good reason (external dependency) to do this

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many options available when you Import From Another Catalog, see the list of options at item 5 under (scroll down) "Import photos from a different Lightroom Classic catalog" here in the documentation. Do any of them work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option that I can see that both maintains metadata and physical copies. I can get all the internal LR data merged (I think) but the external dependencies I need to maintain don't allow for VC. So how?

Or to rephrase the question: how does LR identify duplicates? What exact EXIF data is used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the documentation, Lightroom Classic uses this rule:

Lightroom Classic determines a photo is a duplicate of another file in the catalog if it has the same, original filename; the same Exif capture date and time; and the same file size. You can instruct Lightroom Classic to disregard duplicate files when importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Hmm...maybe what I'm missing is that I modified the physical filename and I should update the filename in the EXIF data.

After some testing, seems like I cannot work around this in LR. The filename on disk was already modified before, and I I just tried to modify the capture time, add a copy name before export but they still get detected. So I think the "Original filename" field in the exif data needs to be modified too. Maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

May I ask why you need actual duplicate copies of a given photo when you do this merge? Why isn't virtual copies acceptable in the combined catalog? It seems to me you are about to do a lot of work, and I don't see the benefit over virtual copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines