Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export as TIF loss of RGB information

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Comumunity,

I just started resently my work on image analysis and wanted to use the Adobe-Ligthroom to convert the NEF-Files from a Nikon D800E 14bit into TIF files that can be processed with ImageJ.

Inside Ligthroom I see my pictures quite nice and with the courser I get information about the RGB values at specific pixels. I than export the files to TIF load them into the ImageJ or any other programm and find that the object is not represented correctly as on or two of the color channels are set to zero for the object. 

Apperently not all pixels have been set to zero as i still have the noise in all channels. But instead of seeing higher values where the object is located the values are zero. 

I also used python with numpy and rawpy to convert them to tiff and got the same error. 

How ever what workes was using the Nikon softwear to convert from NEF to TIF without any loss of color information. 

Is there some hidden code that can be deactivated?

I added the two TIF-files from nikon and adobe and also the corresponding RGB channels seperated into individual JPEGs. This may support my problem.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really understanding the few captures (there are many) nor what you are trying to accomplish but I'll try to answer some questions about LR and ACR with respect to RGB values:

The numbers for RGB in Develop are based on Melissa RGB which is ProPhoto RGB primaries with a 2.2 TRC. So not knowing how you rendered the raws to TIFF, it is not unusal the numbers don't match. Lab would be better. 

The underlying color space for processing differs from Melissa RGB too; ProPhoto RGB with 1.0 TRC so more disconnect in the possible numbers, plus, the color space used for export. 

There is no switch to change any of this. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use LR or ACR to open the raw file a camera profile is applied to the raw data. Even with all Develop controls at their 0 default settings the raw data is compressed, which can cause shadow and highlight clipping. If you then export to TIFF file format those clipped pixels are no longer recoverable in ANY photo editor. Two options:

1) Use the LR Develop Highlights and Shadows controls to remove any undesireable clipping (hold down ALT key to see clipping) before exporting to TIFF. You could also do further editing in LR, but I'm not sure what your workflow objectives are using ImageJ.

2) If ImageJ has similar Highlights and Shadows controls import the raw file directly into ImageJ using the available plugin.

As an example of a similar workflow ColorPerfect uses a plugin called MakeTiff, which converts the raw file to a linear data TIFF file, which preserves the pixel data levels.

https://www.colorperfect.com/MakeTiff/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Todd Shaner wrote:

As an example of a similar workflow ColorPerfect uses a plugin called MakeTiff, which converts the raw file to a linear data TIFF file, which preserves the pixel data levels.

https://www.colorperfect.com/MakeTiff/

Never heard of this product but man, the BS factor in just the first few paragraphs is kind of sad.

One can easily produce a linear TIFF straight from LR/ACR; no trick to creating an RGB Working Space profile that these Adobe products can use, to produce a linear encoded TIFF.

What the OP may desire is a different ball of wax: Scene Referred from ACR/LR: 

http://www.color.org/scene-referred.xalter

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines