Exit

Export colour space to 5k retina iMac

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Exporting from lightroom classic.

Should I be setting it to P3 as per the imac display or does it not matter.

I have exported samples in P3, SRGB,Prophoto RGB, and Adobe RGB.I cant see any difference in the files.

SRGB is supposed to contain the smallest colour space so i can only assume the 24mp raw file used and edited doesn't contain anything that all 4 can't handle depth wise?

Anp suggestions or comments are welcome.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it depends on where you plan to view and use your document. 

When you export, you want to export to a space that can be used on other platforms. ProPhoto RGB and AdobeRGB are good spaces that preserve more color information, and are good for cross-application workflow, printing on physical media, and use in other compatible applications (for example in InDesign to produce a color document), while sRGB is more prevalent and is a good choice for anything you want to post on the web. DCI-P3 is also a good space the preserves more of the saturated reds and greens, and is used mostly in video editing. 

So again, when you export from Lightroom, where do you intend to use the files you export? Your target use case will dictate what color space you should use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

My apologies for ommitting that,i did mean to include it.

I want to export from Lightroom into my apple photos app for my own viewing and making slide shows etc, so basically i want the photos to look as good as  possible re the amount of imformation sent from LR.

When i want to post on say Flikr or facebook which are about the only 2 platforms i use then i will export from Apple photos in sRGB.

thanks  for replying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, the P3 colour space that Apple use is not exactly the DCI-P3 one but obviously based on it with changes for the mac screens.also used on Ipad pros and the Macbooks etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with color management in Apple's Photos app. If it has it, and can accept P3 profiles, that's great. Keep in mind that Lightroom's native working space is a variant of ProPhoto RGB, so by converting from LR's native working space to P3, I don't think you are adding anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't see a difference nor should you, because you're using color management here.

If the image data exceeds sRGB color gamut AND you export it in a larger color space gamut like P-3 AND you view this on a wider gamut display than sRGB, you should see a slight difference in saturated colors that fall outside sRGB. Otherwise they will all appear the same; they are all within sRGB color gamut. 

Start with a very wide gamut original and export all three then view on a wide gamut display; you should see a difference. Try this:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/Gamut_Test_File_Flat.tif

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines