• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export large image help

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have exported my 6720 x 4480 image from Lightroom at 300dpi however the client says that it is not large enough to print to 30"x40". Is there anything I can do in export it to print at the requested print size?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was a reason given?

When you export your 6720x4480 image, what pixel size (width and height) did you export it at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I leave as original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An image that's 6720 pixels wide divided by 300 = an image that is 22.4 inches. 

If you need to get that 30" width you need 224 ppi.

So, why is this OK? That's because that "magic" 300 dpi is for fine books where the distance of the nose to book distance is within hands reach. But when you're dealing with a 30" wide image, only the "pixel peepers" will stare into the item with their nose into the print and (maybe) see a difference.

In that regard, have you ever considered the resolution of a billboard? Trust me, it's not 300 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for the info. So I give them a smaller (224) ppi for a larger canvas print size?

Sorry to sound like a dummy, what is the the resolution of a billboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A poster needs a minimum resolution of about 100dpi if viewed at 6ft (2m). Viewed at 30ft (10m) a billboard needs a minimum resolution of about 20dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have ON1Phto RAW? That includes ON1 Resize (also available as a seperate purchase)  you can do an edit in, and resize it to clients desire, actuall to 30x40

https://www.on1.com/videos/enlarging-your-first-photo-in-on1-resize-2021/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I had never even heard of this. Thank you I'm looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your image file is a raw file 6720 x 4480 pixels I would suggest you do the following, use the Super Resolution feature in LrC to double the file size to 13440 X 8960 which will come close the the 300 PPI you require for a 40” X 30” which is 12000 X 9000 pixels. So you do not require another software application like ON 1 Raw.

It will be necessary to crop the Super Resolution file to 4x3 ratio so you eventually have 11946 X 8960.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok that sounds like a plan.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need for 300 ppi at this size! That is a misunderstanding and you need to educate the client.

Do not upsample unless absolutely necessary to avoid visible pixels - which is to say, almost never, and certainly not in this case. 6720 x 4480 pixels is plenty enough to work for any practical purpose. It will work as-is here.

Super resolution works well when you need it. But it's not needed here. It won't improve the image, it won't make it look any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question in this case is: do you try to educate your client (and possibly upset him) or do you simply give him what he asked for?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse thanks for the info, its what I thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the author of the thread has enough info to decide how to proceed.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to post back here on what your solution was for others future info,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines