• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export presets no longer remembering location

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only just encountered this problem so I am not sure when it started.

In the past export presets remembered the location set in the preset.  This no longer works.

Please fix, or am I doing something wrong?

Anyone else noticed this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for all your support and suggestions...

With a bit of experiementation I figured out that the preset was corrupt.  So on deleting the preset and making new ones all worked again as it used too.

It seems it was a corrupt preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your LR and brief OS specs thanks.

In the meanwhile this might help if it fits your issue, but it might depend on your current LR version.

Plugin to reset Presets & "Manage Presets"
Lightroom Classic doe not organise presets in physical folders anymore. You can organise them in groups in the presets panel like before, but you do that by using the 'Manage Presets' option within Lightroom. If you want the old behavior back, look at this plugin: http://www.johnrellis.com/lightroom/fixpresets.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 9.4 release

Mac OS Catalina version 10.15.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In the past export presets remembered the location set in the preset."

What do you mean with 'location set'? Export plugins can either export to a specific folder, or leave it to you to choose the folder on export. Both still work.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to presets... I used to set a specific location folder and it would remain embedded in the preset.  I have two presets I use regularly... one is 2500 px and they live in a folder in my hard drive called 2500 px photographs.  I have a different preset called full size jpgs for printing, which I have set to go to a folder on my hard drive called 'Full sized jpgs for printing'.

I used to be able to click on one, export and then later click on the other and export, then back to the first and export and the exports would turn up in the right folders as specified in the preset.

Now, each time I choose the preset, I have to go back and navigate to the folder again. The preset does not remember the destination folder any more... I remembers the last one I used, despite which preset I use.  This behaviour has clearly changed recently. Though I am not sure with which build of lightroom it changed.

Thanks in advance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show screenshots of these two presets? It should still work and does on my systems.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unexplained issues like this are often due to a corrupted LR Preferences file. Close LR and move the below Preferences file to your desktop so you can restore it if the issue persists. Restart LR and it will create a new Preferences file with default settings. Try the export presets again. If this fixes the issue you will need to reinstall your plugins and update your Preferences settings with any changes you made previously.

Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ Lightroom \ Preferences \ Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Preferences / com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming into this late but....

The OP is talking about presets, some are talking plug-ins. 

Presets can be found in one of two locations depending on preferences and OS. 

I always use "Store Presets with Catalog" preference and that's where they live. If I turn off that preference, then it isn't. 

There's also the issue of a Save location being sticky (and at least on MacOS, some use utilities like Default Folder X) that can override the OS. 

I agree that this still works so it could be 'user error' or something else but the preferences play a role as to where and how LR 'sees' presets.

FYI, on my Mac, using Symbolic Links makes finding and backing this all up really easy. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much... I have been exploring and playing....

It is only one preset that is forgetting the location file....

So I will try this fix tomorrow and create new presets...

Here is a screen shot..

I want the folder that was added as part of the preset to remain the same when I come back to the preset.  It should revert to the one in the preset, but it doesn't.... it stays on the last used one.  It is particular to one preset in I think..

Thank you.. I will try reseting the presets by removing the file and starting again.. and let you know how I go.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 7.35.53 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-26 at 7.35.30 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-26 at 7.35.11 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The, Your, problem is with the newer LrC Export dialog you have to place a Check Mark in the box to the left of the Preset you want to use. Just Selecting, Highlighting, it doesn't work the same as it did before.

So for a Test place a check mark in the box to the left of one of those presets and then click the Export button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Just Selecting, Highlighting, it doesn't work the same as it did before."

No, that isn't true. You only have to click the checkbox if you want to do a batch export, using more than one preset at the same time. Some presets cannot even be checked (the 'For Email' preset, for example). If you want to export an image using one single preset, then highlighting it should work as before. And -of course- you can still use the menu 'Export with preset'.

I noticed that all three presets are using synced folders as their destination. Two use the Creative Cloud Files folder, and the third one uses Apple's iCloud Drive synced folder. I wonder if that could be a reason, but it shouldn't be a problem. Except of course if the path to the folder is no longer valid! Could that be it? Did the username change, for example?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem. The way I fixed it was to rename the preferences file to save it. Then I reopened LR. Closed LR. Removed the newly created preferences file. Then renamed my saved preferences file to the original preferences file name. That worked to solve the problem without renetering ALL of my preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand it correctly (and I did ask the OP to explain it better), then the OP is not talking about the location of presets (or plugins) but about the location where an export preset saves the exported image.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when I use Context Menu, select a User Preset and select Export... the location is sticky; the last place I located for such a save from LR (not necessarily from another application also locating to a folder):

SaveLocation.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not what I think the OP means. I believe he means this: he has specified a specific folder in an export preset, and for some reason the export preset now does not save the exported image in that folder anymore, or it asks to select a folder. I'll let him reply however, because we are only speculating and (possibly) giving irrelevant answers.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your support and suggestions...

With a bit of experiementation I figured out that the preset was corrupt.  So on deleting the preset and making new ones all worked again as it used too.

It seems it was a corrupt preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job figuring out how to fix it.  I had this exact same problem a few months ago.  All of my export presets had folder locations pre-programmed and yet they would still ask me every time to select a folder for the exported images.  Didn't make any sense.  I ended up recreating all of them and the weird behavior stopped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few months on and I now have the exact same problem as described by the OP. Rather than recreating each pre-set completely I just chose the folder that the pre-set should have saved as the export destination when it was first created (and did until last week) then right clicked on the pre-set and selected Update with Current Settings. That has worked so far. I have a lot of presets that all save to different folders so it will be a while until I know whether this is a definite fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked for me too.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as well, thanks so much.... It's frustrating that a product this expensive is so flakey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the preset file located in Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where?

MENU: > Edit > Preferences... > Presets Tab: [Show all other Lightroom Presets].

Rob_Cullen_0-1640645089542.png

Expand the {Lightroom} folder to see sub-folders of presets.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what happened:

I had to replace my laptop which died. My new laptop has a 1 TB harddrivve. I had the filews from the old computer downloaded to the new onbe. This caused the new laptops C/drivew to lock up-completely full! I was told that teh Lightroom backup files filled the drive and no space was available. I tried to find trhe backup files on teh C/drive so I coould remove them, but could not find them. In desperation, I moved asome probrams (lightroom) to an external drive. That gave me spome room on the man C/drive. However, when I opened Lightroom Classic and was ready to export a Jpeg file, I got an error message: "Unable to Export: Export settings are missing the LR_Export_destination Path Prefix:" I'm a casua; user of Lightroom and have NO clue how to fix this. PLEASE HELP ME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have jumped on an old thread but I will try Addressing some of your comments-

"My new laptop has a 1 TB harddrive"-  It is suggested you need about 20% of free space on the working drive for LrC to work efficiently.

" was told that the Lightroom backup files filled the drive" - Who told you that? And were they actually referring to the Backup ZIP files, or the Previews folder, or even your image folders?

"backup files on the C/drive .... could not find them." - Where did you look? And what folder location have you been using for Catalog Backups all the time you have been using Lightroom-Classic? They will be ZIP files contained in dated folders similar to  this-

2023-11-02 11_08_28-LIGHTROOM BACKUPS.jpg

"Unable to Export:..." -  Make a screen-clip of your Export dialog screen and add it to your post with the [Insert Photos] icon above your text-

2023-11-02 11_10_37-Solved_ Re_ Export presets no longer remembering location - Adobe Community - 11.jpg

You need a valid folder address for the Exported files-  That (an Export default) may have been lost in the move from the old drive.

2023-11-02 11_17_18-Clipboard.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob:
I noticed that my new laptop was running real slow and LRC was
sometimes crashing. I took the laptop to a computer tech I had used
before. He admitted that he knew nothing about LR but he showed me
some graphics of my screen that he said showed the backups had filled
the drive to capacity, which was why the computer was running poorly.
I am a casual Lightroom user, and am not very familiar with all the
ins & outs of the program. When I got home I opened the explorer and
saw that the drive was locked.. I started to move files from the C:/
drive to an external drive to free up space. I freed up 216 Gb from
the 940 GB drive. I previously used 4 external drives for my images,
but it seems that I need to connect them separately even though I have
a 7 port hub, My laptop has 20 GB of ram on board. I'm looking for
someone who knows the ins & outs of lightroom but it appears that none
of the people I know are very knowledgeable. The backups I'm referring
to are the backups lightroom creates when you exit the program.
I will get into lightroom tonight and try to take the screenshot of
the error messsage in question and send it to you as you suggested.
Wish me luck!

Steven Rosenblum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines