• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export TIFF with with original print resolution

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export ~3,000 scanned in and edited images with their original print resolution. Their resolution is varied (400-1200ppi) so I can't just set the resolution in the export settings. Even with resize unchecked and the resolution field blank, the test files still export at 240 ppi. I have researched this for two days and the only thing I've found is this thread from 2017 which was resolved by johnrellis with a rather comlicated process. I was wondering if someone here knew of a new method or plugin that could do this more directly? I'm happy to pay for a plugin.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital images really don't have resolution in terms of ppi, despite what you said above and despite what you you see in the LrC export dialog. Digital images only have pixels, not pixels per inch. A photo with a ppi of 240 is the same as a photo with a ppi of 10. Not a pixel changes.

The pixels per inch only matters if you intend to print the photo, and even there, if you tell the printer you want a 6x4 inch print, you get a 6x4 inch print.

So in my opinion, you are spending time on something that doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is indeed why you think you need to retain the original resilution setting, which is just a number in the metadata of the image. As long as you do not resize on export, the exported image will have the same pixel dimensions as the original, regardless of what number you use for pixel per inch.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That 'resolution' value you speak of is simply metadata and has no bearing; you only need to worry about the number of pixels you end up with. Sure, you can have 1000x2000 pixels at 72ppi, 720ppi or 1000ppi and in all cases, you still have 1000x2000 pixels and you could alter the values each time. But the important aspect is the number of pixels. Add the metadata, or ignore it, you still have 1000x2000 pixels for print. 

Can you export them all and add a specific PPI? Sure but rather pointless. I agree 100% with the first answer here:

So in my opinion, you are spending time on something that doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines