Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported images degrade when uploaded

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, 

I've recently upgraded to a Canon 90D from a bridge camera and started shooting in RAW. 

I happily edited an image and exported it but when I go to upload it anywhere or move it to my phone it really degrades and I don't understand why. I know the original image isn't stunningly sharp as I'm still getting used to the settings on the new camera, but I don't understand what is happening. I've tried exported as a DNG then saving it through Photoshop as a PNG, JPEG or TIF but the same keeps happening. 

upload.PNG

I even compared it with two unedited versions of the same photo - the DNG degraded when uploaded but the JPEG version maintained quality (second image) - what am I doing wrong? 

comparison.PNG

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly I wasn't aware that Express accepted DNG as an upload and it makes me wonder if that uses the Embedded Preview inside the DNG rather than processing the DNG itself. Personally I've only ever used JPEG upload to Express (and when it was formerly Spark) and been happy. Is there a particular reason you're not exporting JPEG to make use of it's faster upload compared to the others? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, that would make sense if it's just a preview. They're CS3 files that have been uploaded but when I export them they get exported as a DNG and I can't find a way in Lightroom Classic to change them to anything else. I started using RAW because all the reading and learning I've been doing kept saying how RAW is better than JPEG and you get more information to edit with so I started using RAW. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you compare the exported photo to the photo as it appears in LrC?

What export settings did you choose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Yes, on my computer it looks the same as it does in LrC but as soon as I move it off my computer to upload it or copy it to another device, it degrades. I checked some JPEG images photos from the same camera in case it was my computer that's the issue and it's only the two CR3 images I've edited that are doing this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also just to add, I've been using the default LrC setting but I also tried Export to DNG because Burn Full Sized JPEG's is greyed out for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, on my computer it looks the same as it does in LrC but as soon as I move it off my computer to upload it or copy it to another device, it degrades.

By @Chevonne241420688c2w

Then the problem isn't Lightroom Classic. It has something to do with your upload process, and the method of handling photos on the external web site.

I also tried Export to DNG because Burn Full Sized JPEG's is greyed out for me 

I'm not familiar with this option, nor have I ever seen the ability to export as JPG greyed out. Can you show us a screen capture (using the "Insert Photos" icon, do NOT attach files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My upload process is just clicking Upload and then choosing the file on my computer, I've tried Instagram and Adobe Express and get the same issue on both. Is there another way I'm missing? 

Of course, this is what I can see

Chevonne241420688c2w_0-1669398967989.png

and when I try and click on the JPEG option it defaults to CD/DVD and says it can't export

Chevonne241420688c2w_1-1669399055768.png

If I try and switch it over to eporting to my hardrive it defaults to Export to these settings 

Chevonne241420688c2w_2-1669399118262.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you attempting to export to a CD/DVD?

And in your third screen, have you exported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not it just defaults to that and when I tell it to export to my hard drive it unselects exporting to a JPEG. Those are the settings I've exported with, yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not familiar with Express, but, in the web address in that screenshot, the file name looks a lot like a LrC library preview file, not an full image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought maybe it was a preview image and the full image would appear when I exported, but when I export from Adobe Express it still looks like that 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines