Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from LIghroom to photoshop

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting to Photoshop for edits ...

For a long time I used a systemic folder setup ... Date, name of the client and in that folder I have a folder called postreatement and I got another subfolder in this one called final 

I used to export my file to photoshop from lightroom then work it then save it in my postreatement folder and I would take a second or two to appear a s a new photo in my lightoom photos. 

Since the last update, as soon as I export my photo to photoshop it creates a psd in my first folder and that one appears in my lightroom and then, when I save my file into my postreatement it doesn't appear at amy point of time ... any idea what settings I need to chance to make it appear when I save it in another sub-folder than the original ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you confirm which exact workflow you are using-

A)  Using the EXPORT dialog with Ps in the 'Post Processing' field, or

B)  Using the [EDIT-IN] command.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways that Lightroom (Classic) and Photoshop can operate together. 

The first way (the normal Edit in PS method) has LrC passing instructions to ACR. ACR then renders and opens an image provisionally within PS (still in memory only). A subsequent Save establishes a file name, and a location on disk, of your choice. LrC has been on the lookout for that happening, so can now auto-import. And within PS this changes from a provisional image to a "real" image. Otherwise, if you exit PS without saving, the whole operation has been cancelled: nothing saved on disk, nothing imported to LrC.

The other way happens with "Edit in..."

• if it's a non-Adobe editing program or utility;
  • with PS, when LrC knows its postprocessing metadata will not be reliably and accurately understood and implemented by ACR (because the ACR version is out of date relative to the LrC version);
  • when a named external editing preset has been invoked for PS instead of the more standard "Edit in PS" method.

Otherwise

• if you use Export instead of Edit in PS; choose PS executable in the Postprocessing options of Export; choose in Export settings to have the saved results auto-imported to the Catalog. 

In any of these cases, LrC immediately renders the image with adjustments (not subcontracting that work to ACR); immediately saves the results to disk alongside the master imported image and with default file naming- you don't get to say any different - plus, immediately imports that as a new additional image version. It also tells PS to open this new file from disk, for (optional) editing there and then (optional) re-saving. LrC will now see any file updates, and reflect those in its internal preview accordingly. Regardless what you do within PS, this file already exists on disk and is already imported to the Catalog.

If you've seen a change from one workflow to the other, typically that is because LrC has moved ahead of PS and its ACR in an update. A matching update to PS and ACR, will put everything compatible again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated Lightroom ... but nothing else so updateing Raw and photoshop should resolve the issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Usually import my files after a shoot to Lightroom directely to keep my folders in order and keep the same files structures ... so Import in Lightroom do minor adjustement there, white balance ect . tthen COMMAND E to edit in photoshop, then in photoshop to the really skin tectures ect then I save the psd ... before no psd was created and when I as SAVE AS in my sub folder LR still was adding the file to my Quick Collection 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"COMMAND E to edit in photoshop, then in photoshop to the really skin tectures ect then I save the psd ... before no psd was created"

If you [SAVE] in Photoshop, then Yes, the new PSD file will be saved in the same folder as the original.

"and when I as [SAVE AS] in my sub folder LR still was adding the file to my Quick Collection."

The [Save as] command does NOT add an image to the Catalog library. If you see one in the Quick Collection it would be the PSD file in the same folder as original created by the [SAVE].

You would need to Synchronize the Folder {PostTreatment}that you specified in the [Save As] dialog to ALSO see the second PSD file in the catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines