Exporting HEIC to JPG results in single thumbnail for two files

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited an HEIC file, then exported into the same folder with the same filename with a .JPG extension.  What I'm left with in the Grid view is a single thumbnail that indicates a file extension of "HEIC+JPG", rather than two files.  In order to delete the original HEIC file, I have to to the Finder or some other program that understands files.

I'm guessing that the Grid was thinking it useful to display these two files as one.  (It's not.)  But how do I tell Lightroom to display these as two separate files?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While technically HEIC/HEIF are not RAW files, I wonder if LrC is treating it as if it was. In Preferences,  in the General tab, check the box "Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate photos"

This should not be the case, but easy to test.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LR is weird, treating JPEGs as sidecars of a number of non-raw file types -- TIFF, HEIC, MP4, perhaps others.  So check the option Preferences > General > Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos. Then in the Folders panel, right-click the affected folders and do Synchronize Folder to cause the JPEGs to be imported as separate photos.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines