• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exposure changes when changing background colour!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have a problem with my image exposure changing when I change the surrounding colour. 

So for example if I crop the image and hit "lights out" the image exposure will go up or down depending if the background/border is light or dark! This also happens if I soft proof, change the workspace border or export it to then view it with a white border.

It's a real pain as I can edit it to how I want it and then when i soft proof it or export it and view it with a white border its completely out and different. I then have to go back and adjust it, export it to see how it comes out and so on.

I'm using the most resent version of lightroom on windows 10pro. 

I bought a refurb PC to replace my last one and I admit the graphics card is old and not great if that's any help?

Many thanks, hope someone can help. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this an observation via your eyes, perception? Or does the exposure slider change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, it was via my eyes not the slider. But i have tried again tonight and it isnt doing it! One thing i am going to look at is night mode on my PC. 

I will keep you posted 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"if I crop the image and hit "lights out" the image exposure will go up or down depending if the background/border is light or dark!"

Possibilities:

- Human perception of color and tonal range is affected by the bordering color.  

- Some displays have a dynamic movie mode that adjust the brightness of the display based on what's being shown. Check the display's manual and its on-screen display menu.

To verify it's not LR or the operating system that's doing this, make two screenshots, one with lights-out enabled and the other disabled.  Then crop the two screenshots identically and compare -- almost certainly they'll be identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, i have tried again tonight and its back to normal! I am going to look at the screen profiles and also the night mode on the PC. If it happens again i will do the screen shot to see. But i have to admit i think it was playing up as it was quite noticeable. 

Thanks for the reply, i will keep you posted 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines