• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External drives showing as folders in Volumes

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plan to consolidate 8 small ext. drives to a large one and want to be careful.. does it matter that all of my drives show as "volumes" not Ext. drives like in all the video tutorials I've seen? Ive read some threads, but dont get it.. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

So on /, which is the top level folder, right click and "hide this parent". Then after that, you should be able to right click on Volumes and "hide this parent".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the videos you've seen I can't say.

Normally if you add the new large drive and drag all the folders from the old drives to it inside Lightroom, you should be fine.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Drives are usually at the top with a green bar preceding them (as is my hard drive) but my 8 ext. drives are listed as Folders below the folder called Volumes. I want to move all the originals to my new drive, so I started with one of the smaller drives  (2600 RAW files) and dragged the folder to the new drive (listed as a Volume) -at 662 images it just stopped for the last hour or so.. not sure what to do next.. (I'm hoping to move 150,000 images eventually so Im not continually plugging and unplugging small drives)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on Volumes and choose 'Hide Parent Folder' (or 'Hide This Parent'). Hopefully that should help.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right clicking Volumes doesn't show that option.. here is what I see

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 9.27.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-01 at 9.28.19 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the top level folder and do it there, the do it on Volumes. I had assumed Volumes was a top level folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That hid them- thanks Sean! But I have to show them now to use them.. my external drives are shown as "Volumes" ..is this OK? I thought they were supposed to look like the Macintosh HD as a different "Drive"  on the top level..They work this way, it just doesn't look like several tutorials I've watched about adding an ext. drive.. I bought a Lacie 12T 2bigdock thinking I would move the contents of 8 smaller hard drives to it to consolidate my work- it isn't going well, the first one I tried stopped at 662 of 2400 images.. so Im wondering if this is part of the problem,. LR shut down, it was ugly- thought this would be easy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show me a screen cap again.. You can always move outside Lightroom and reconnect, but it's tedious unless they're in a parent folder on the drive first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the screen that shows my 8 external drives as Volumes, not drives.. I'm still not sure if it even matters, but some of these drives are old, and I would like to move the contents to the 2BigDock drive.. sounds easy (it's 12TB)  One of my 2TB drives (My Passport for Mac below) won't even get recognized by the laptop, even with disk utility.. so I assume it is bad(?) But in this screen capture, the Lacie2BigDock is greyed out (it's brand new) even though it is currently connected to the laptop. .thanks for your help 🙂

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 9.04.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So on /, which is the top level folder, right click and "hide this parent". Then after that, you should be able to right click on Volumes and "hide this parent".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue and when I click on the root folder "/" and select "Hide This Parent" nothing happens.

My drives are still organized as folders in the 'Volumes' folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the Folders panel showing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 1.44.55 PM.jpg

 Same situation as the OP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any insight on this? Wondering why the directions to resolve the OP's same issue are doing nothing for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This issue is still present. 'Hide this parent' on the root level folder "/" does nothing. Please advise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running into this same issue. All of the sudden all of my external drives, in use or not, are no longer showing as a driver and are now listed as a folder under the parent folder "Volumes". I followed all the steps of hiding the parent folder however when I right click, hide parent folder on "Volumes" it doesnt move all the new folder drives to actual drives, it "hides" the Volumes folder as well as everything under it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my season is about to begin! 

Thank you in advance!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue, but I don't have the top level folder "/".  See screenshot below. ("Monterey OS" is the OS drive.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines