Copied

Running the following setup :
2013 Mac Pro

Mac OS Big Sur Version 11.4

256GB Internal HDD (38GB Avaiable)

128GB Ram 

Lightroom Classic 10.4

Lacie 6TB External HDD

Problem: External HDD works properly, as in I am able to browse and open all files on the External HDD, Read and Write to External HDD, and work in other apps for as long as I want until I open Lightroom to begin editing. About 30 seconds after launching lightroom and everything loading, even if I do not click on anything the external HDD Red LED fault light turns on and is not usable unless I quit lightroom, eject, power down and restart the External HDD.   

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Thanks for the link but it was actually caused by 2 .cr3 files on the hard drive itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

I did not but I found out that it was caused by 2 .CR3 files from one of my photoshoots

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Could you try taking a back up of the data from the external drive and then format the drive clean, then move the data back onto the drive. After that test it with Lightroom and let us know how it goes?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil,

In an attempt to do so I located the two files causing this issue. They are .CR3 (I own a canon R6) files from one of my photoshoots. Using finder and selecting (dont need to open) either of the two files replicates the issue even when lightroom is not running. So I am assuming when Lightroom is linking the files to the smart previews it triggers the drive failure as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try running Disk Utility or similar? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not but I found out that it was caused by 2 .CR3 files from one of my photoshoots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible driver issue? see (ref 1)

(ref 1): LACIE | Compatibility with macOS 11 - Big Sur 

(link fixed, hat tip Ian Lyons)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

The link doesn't work. However, this may be what you intended https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/support/kb/compatibility-with-macos-big-sur/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but it was actually caused by 2 .cr3 files on the hard drive itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link but it was actually caused by 2 .cr3 files on the hard drive itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it solved but you need to free up space on your internal drive, 38GB is getting close to problem territory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was right after editing a video. Once i dump the render files storage is back up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines