Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

External HDD Failure only after Lightroom Launch

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the following setup :
2013 Mac Pro

Mac OS Big Sur Version 11.4

256GB Internal HDD (38GB Avaiable)

128GB Ram 

Lightroom Classic 10.4

Lacie 6TB External HDD

Problem: External HDD works properly, as in I am able to browse and open all files on the External HDD, Read and Write to External HDD, and work in other apps for as long as I want until I open Lightroom to begin editing. About 30 seconds after launching lightroom and everything loading, even if I do not click on anything the external HDD Red LED fault light turns on and is not usable unless I quit lightroom, eject, power down and restart the External HDD.   

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LaCie had terrible issues with bad power supplies. I'd make sure that isn't the problem before going any further.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I dont think it is the drive itself as it functions properly for hours on end day in and out. The only time it malfucntions is when I open lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a bad sector on the drive in the part of the drive where Lightroom Classic is stored or where the catalog is stored.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes perfect sense! im going to transfer everything to a new drive and see if the problem persists, 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines