• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Externally edited photos aren't added to filmstrip

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my typical workflow, I import images into LR as DNG files, although I have recently opted to save time and import them as NEF files.  I do initial edits in LR and then finish the photo with external edits in PS (primarily smart sharpening).  I then save the file from PS as a JPEG in an external hard drive.  

In previous instances, I observed that a copy of the final JPEG was added to Lightroom's filmstrip, adjacent to the original image (with its LR edits).  However, this behavior is no longer occurring.  I would like to restore this behavior in LR but am unable to figure out how to do so.  Does this behavior only occur when the images have been imported as DNG files or is there something else I need to do.  I would note that "stack with original" is selected in LR's external editing preferences.  Thanks 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use Edit in Photoshop, the file that returns to Lightroom will be a Tiff or a PSD, depending on what you have chosen in LR's Preferences > External editing.

When you have finished editing in PS, you have to do a simple Save for the new file to return to LR.

You can then export jpgs as needed from the Tiff or PSD.

If you use Save As in PS (which you have to do to be able to save a jpg), the file will not return to LR.

The file that returns from PS will be a master file, which in my opinion should be the highest possible quality, which you don't get with a jpg.

If you still want a jpg to return to LR, you can set Photoshop up as an Additional external editor in Preferences > External editing. Here you can choose jpg as file format.  Also choose a distinctive preset name, which will appear in the context menu when you right click an image to edit.

I don't recommend this, but it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this information.  I must admit, I am still a bit confused.  I have always used "Save As" after editing in PS so that I can create the JPG (as desired by the clients) on an external HD to facilitate delivery (not the original folder created with the import to LR).  Previously, these actions would somehow automatically add the JPG to the filmstrip adjacent to the original raw file.  Might this behavior have been changed following a recent update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit in Photoshop has always worked like this.

And for the file (tiff or psd) to return to Lightroom, it has to be saved, not saved as.

Saving will save to the same folder as the original, and you cannot choose to save in a different location,

The only way to get a jpg automatically imported apart from the workaround I described, is to export a jpg from LR, and check Add to this catalog in the Export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be possible to do save as in Photoshop and have the saved file return to Lightroom even if you changed the filename or filetype. That no longer is the case. You have to use save as far as I know. This changed a while ago and doesn't have anything to do with the file format of the original as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As is working same as Save on my Windows 10 system with LrC 10.1.1 and PS 22.2. Make sure 'Save As to Original Folder' is checked as shown below. If not check it, restart PS, and try again.

Save As to original folder.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save as and change the filetype to jpeg, Photoshop will force saving as a copy even with that setting and the file won't come back into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my example above I can confirm if the file type is changed in PS it will not automatically appear back in LrC. Sorry for any confusion on my part. However, if only the file name is changed is will automatically appear back in LrC using Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, now I am totally confused.  Last week, after following the workflow that I described above: 

1. Import to LR as NEF file

2. Preliminary edit in Lr

3. Export to PS for final edits (mainly smart sharpen)

4. Save as JPEG on external HD

the final edited JPEG was NOT added to the LR filmstrip.

This week I have followed the exact same workflow and the final edited JPEGs ARE being added to the filmstrip.PS edits in LR.png

I couldn't do the snip to document the file type, but there are now two copies of each of the three edited images I just completed.  In each case, a JPG precedes the NEF file.

Any ideas what I might have done to make this happen (which is my desired goal)?

Thanks

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines