• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extreme RAM usage by latest Lightroom June update

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated my lightroom classic to latest version 11.4 i.e june update. I am using a 8GB RAM Mac mini and lightroom almost using 7GB completly overflowing my swap usage with a popping message"heavy RAM usage, please close apps".

Is this a bug or its normal? can anyone give any update on this or any solution?

r.kiiv
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is perfectly normal.

My copy of LrC (version 11.2) reaches 7 GB very quickly, and will sometimes go as high as 12 GB.

Simply viewing 36 50 MP images in Develop (using the arrow keys to go to the next image) reslulted in 7.3 GB RAM usage.

8 GB RAM is a bare minimum, at least 16 GB is recommended. I suggest that you get more RAM.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

youtu.be/kdwQYLHl0ck

M1 Mac mini with lightroom 11.4 update ram usage can be seen in d video

r.kiiv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already mentioned above, 8GB will be used very quickly by LrC simply by switching to the Develop module.  Nevertheless, more information on your particular setup and past experience would be helpful.

1. Does your Mac mini use Apple M1 or Intel?

2. Did you experience the same extreme memory use in previous versions of LrC?

3. Have you tried switching off  GPU acceleration in the LrC Preferences > Performance tab?

4. Have you tried downgarding to the last version of LrC you were using? This can be done quite easily using the same Creative Cloud app that you used for the upgrade.

5. What version of macOS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me too. I use a Mac mini M1 8gb ram with MacOS Monterey 12.4 and since the June update is all my memory used and Lr doesn't work well anymore. I didn't had that problem with earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use M1 Mac mini 8GB ram with MacOS Monterey 12.4. Yes, before this update it was normal 2-4GB usage. Yes, GPU acceleration is off and BDW GPU will use CPU, not RAM

Please do give an update to fix the bug.

r.kiiv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the 11.4.1 update and it seems better now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, kind off now stable... it's using somewhere 5-7GB... at least it doesn't lag while exporting or editing... below you can see the img. 

r.kiiv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. Same results for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you both stating that the 11.4.1 update has resolved the memory issue you experienced with 11.4?

If yes, then I'll mark the the thread as answered. Doing so help others having similar issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines