Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

F7 and F8 keyboard shortcuts not working in Lightroom CC

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

The shortcuts for showing / hiding the left / right panels individually are not working in Lightroom CC. Have checked system prefs and can't see anything else that may be clashing. F7 does nothing, F8 launches iTunes.

Somebody had the same issue several years ago, but it doesn't look like their question was answered.

Any ideas please?

Running Sierra 10.12.1 on a 2015 rMBP, Lightroom CC 2015.8

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Some troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot your computer.

2. Reset LR's preferences: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?25197-Resetting-the-lightroom-preferences-file-updated . That often fixes things when LR's user interface goes wonky.

3. In LR, what shortcut appears for the menu command Window > Panels > Show Left Module Panels?  Does F7 appear, or something else?  This is what it looks like on my system:

4. If F7 doesn't appear, go to System Preferences > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts and cr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which language are you running LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English (UK), thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F7 does nothing, F8 launches iTunes.

Somehow, your F7 and F8 keys are assigned to be global keys that override the Lightroom assignments of these keys. You need to find out where these are assigned in your MAC setup, and eliminate them. As I am not a Mac user, I cannot be more specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such is my dilemma! As I already stated, I checked the system prefs/keyboard/shortcuts, and nothing listed there has F7 or F8 assigned - I don't know where else to look. I guess I need a Mac/Lightroom expert to chime in, but thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth ... on Windows, if the shortcut F8 opened iTunes, then you would need to check the properties of iTunes and remove the keyboard shortcut there; and not the system shortcuts. Perhaps it's the same on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot your computer.

2. Reset LR's preferences: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?25197-Resetting-the-lightroom-preferences-file-update... . That often fixes things when LR's user interface goes wonky.

3. In LR, what shortcut appears for the menu command Window > Panels > Show Left Module Panels?  Does F7 appear, or something else?  This is what it looks like on my system:

4. If F7 doesn't appear, go to System Preferences > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts and create a shortcut for "Adobe Lightroom.app", with menu title "Show Left Module Panels", and shortcut key F7:

Does that fix things?  If not, try using Ctrl + F7 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, view my reply in the Web browser, not in your email program, to see the embedded screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

fn + F7 & F8 works for me if anyone comes across this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines