Exit

Feature Request: Better navigation organization

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of folders inside other folders.  For example:

/hard drive/My Pictures/Panoramics/Date/Name of Panoramic/RAW/

Because the Navigator > Folders indents for each level, there is a lot of empty space to the left of my folder names, and by the time I get to Name of Panoramic, there is no room to display the entire name.  You can only move the seperator bar so far.  You can hover over the name to see the full name, but that is not ideal.

I would like to see less indentation used when the names spill over the edge (i.e. when "..." is used).  I would also like to be able to designate a folder as the top-level "root" folder.  I could right-click the Panoramics folder and designate that as my top-level folder and the top of the tree would start with that folder.  The name would have "..." preceeding it to indicate that this is not the true top-level folder.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 9.18.45 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

"You can only move the seperator bar so far."

You can make the columns of panels arbitrarily wide:

- On Mac, hold down Opt while you drag the column separator.

- On Windows, you'll first need to make a simple edit to the TranslatedStrings file, and then you can hold down Alt while you drag the column separator:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-altdrag-on-windows-doesnt-expand-library-panels-like-optdrag-on-mac/5f5f45e94b561a3d4266f135?commentId=5f5f495f4b561a3d4260ea50

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a User to User forum with little to no input from engineering team.

As for your feature request, feel free to post your request there or support a similar request:

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should have an option to submit feature requests from the Help menu.  Would that also be a feature request to request adding a feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would also like to be able to designate a folder as the top-level "root" folder.  I could right-click the Panoramics folder and designate that as my top-level folder and the top of the tree would start with that folder."

LR lets you do that: Right-click "My Pictures"  and do Hide This Parent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can Hide the /hard drive/ and My Pictures Folders only.  However, it comes with a warning, "If you continue, all photos in the root folder will be removed from the Lightroom catalog but the folder and files will remain on disk."  I have half a million pictures in my library and I don't want to remove them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"I can Hide the /hard drive/ and My Pictures Folders only.  However, it comes with a warning, "If you continue, all photos in the root folder will be removed from the Lightroom catalog but the folder and files will remain on disk."  I have half a million pictures in my library and I don't want to remove them all."

Are most of those photos directly under My Pictures?  Most people have a subfolder structure under their root Pictures folder, e.g. Pictures/year/date.  If you created a subfolder My Pictures/Pics and moved all the photos that are directly under My Pictures into My Pictures/Pics, then you could hide My Pictures and save one level of indentation.

Here's what my Folders panel looks like (all those folders are located under Pictures/):

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can only move the seperator bar so far."

You can make the columns of panels arbitrarily wide:

- On Mac, hold down Opt while you drag the column separator.

- On Windows, you'll first need to make a simple edit to the TranslatedStrings file, and then you can hold down Alt while you drag the column separator:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-altdrag-on-windows-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most excellent, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines