• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Destination Folder Not Writable

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden today, I cannot import any files into Lightroom CC Classic due to this error message:

"Could not copy a file to the destination folder because it is not writable (159)"

I have a 2016 MBP touchbar, 1TB of SSD (150GB free).  This happens when importing from iPhone, copying photos to SSD first, importing photos from internet. Nothing will import.  I tried to repair the SSD using Disk Utility, but no results.  Restarting computer didn't help. "Make a Second Copy To..." is unchecked.

Help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

You need to change the permissions on the exact DESTINATION folder to have WRITE permission. Changing the disk permissions, or running some sort of permission repair will not work. You must change that exact DESTINATION folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to change the permissions on the exact DESTINATION folder to have WRITE permission. Changing the disk permissions, or running some sort of permission repair will not work. You must change that exact DESTINATION folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SSD, user, Pictures folder, and 2018 folder they will go into have Read and Write permissions.

Based on your feedback I was successfully able to import a picture into a pre-existing folder in the Pictures/2018/... structure.  If MacOS suddenly isn't allowing Lightroom to create folders, how do I fix this?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh... solved somehow by re-clicking "import into sub-folder".  Can't imagine how this got turned off, or why this would throw an error to have off. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw your post - saw that my "import into subfolder" was not checked

Checked it

Still does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are jumping into an old thread, it would be extremely helpful (or in my opinion, mandatory) for you to explain your problem from the beginning, state exactly what the problem is and what you tried, and what happened.

Be sure to state the version NUMBER of your Lightroom and of your operating system. We need version NUMBERs and not words like "current" or "up-to-date".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a new thread - all the details including version numbers are there

Could not copy a file to the destination folder because it is not writable. (70)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by exact destination folder?  All other apps I have read/write with no issues to the folders I'm trying to write to in LR CC.  I've changed all permissions in Win10 to full.  But LR CC refuses to write to that destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Destination folder that is specified in the Import dialog box.

Most likely it has accidentally changed to somewhere that is not where it used to be, and that's why you are having this problem.

Also, please state the exact version NUMBER of your Lightroom. Saying you have "LR CC" doesn't tell us much. But really, the best advice for you is to start a new thread and explain your exact situation from scratch, instead of jumping into a year-old thread, that will give you the best chance of getting a correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope that folder hasn’t moved. I’m able to write to it with Photoshop and other applications.

v/r

dfz

DAVID F. ZEHR

703-731-5053

301-286-4568

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidz64019672  wrote

Nope that folder hasn’t moved. I’m able to write to it with Photoshop and other applications.

No, I did not mean that the folder has moved. I mean that somehow, Lightroom thinks the Destination folder is now a different folder than it was previously. You have to check what Lightroom thinks is the Destination folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do I do what you’ve described in this thread; “You need to change the permissions on the exact DESTINATION folder to have WRITE permission. Changing the disk permissions, or running some sort of permission repair will not work. You must change that exact DESTINATION folder.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't give a specific answer as I don't use Mac computers. Go to your favorite search engine and type in "change permissions Mac"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out there is a bug in V8.3 of LR CC. They are working on a patch for in the next release. For now you must use a work around.

v/r

dfz

DAVID F. ZEHR

703-731-5053

301-286-4568

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidz64019672  wrote

It turns out there is a bug in V8.3 of LR CC. They are working on a patch for in the next release. For now you must use a work around.

This is an export bug in Lightroom Classic (not Lightroom CC) version 8.3, not an import bug. The solution for this import problem remains as stated above.

Also, it is not a good idea to put your phone number in a public forum such as this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work at all for me.  I had this problem start a couple of weeks ago, saving to the same location I always have on my hard drive.  Now even a "save-as" will not save the files.  I even created a brand new folder.  Something in the last update has altered a setting (V# 11.5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This doesn't work at all for me.  I had this problem start a couple of weeks ago, saving to the same location I always have on my hard drive.  Now even a "save-as" will not save the files.  I even created a brand new folder.  Something in the last update has altered a setting (V# 11.5).

By @Marcial Reiley

It would be very helpful if you state your operating system version NUMBER. But in case it is a recent Mac operating system, please follow these instructions: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are trying to import images that are already on your SSD you should be selecting Copy or Move in the import dialog window.

You should be selecting Add.

Try that.

Also with only 150GBs left from a 1 TB drive you might be running out of disk space. Mac OS X does not always report the correct amount of free disk space. Time Machine local backups could be taking up that 150GBs and not showing it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but Add, Copy and Move produce the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error (can't import to destination because not writable or out of space.) The import had already copied 20 files and only a GIF and a movie file remained.  I have 1.97 TB free on the 3.57 TB drive.  I removed the GIF file from the source directory and retried the import.  It worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these solutions work. I had a call with the customer support for about 4 hours. They couldn't solve the issue and finally informed that it's a Lightroom issue which is going to be fixed in the next version. Now next version is out and I updated LR CC. Issue not resolved. I'm cancelling my subscription. You guys suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are replying to a discussion that is 1.5 years old.

Please start your own discussion and give as much detail as you can on the problem you are having.

If it is Destination folder not writable that is a permissions problem or the drive is full and the OS won't allow any more file to be written to the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines