Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

File size getting Reduced

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am not sure wht my Image size is getting reduced significantly lower when i am exporting to JPEG. For eg, my original Image in RAW is nearly 46MB while exporting its getting reduced to round 3 to 4 MB. So, can anyone help me in getting better image size.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file size reduction is normal, and because of how the JPEG file format is designed.

There can be many reasons why the JPEG file is normally that much smaller than the raw file. The most important reason is that you changed the format. The raw file is designed to preserve all available image information at the highest level of quality, for maximum editing flexibility. JPEG is designed with built-in compression, to reduce file size as much as possible, discarding information not needed for the current appearance of the image, limiting editing flexiblity.

JPEG is designed to prioritize small file size, and the file size can drop more if you reduce the Quality level (increase the compression level).

Another reason it might get smaller is if you also reduced the pixel dimensions at export.

A raw file is one channel at 12 to 16 bits per pixel, depending on the camera.

A JPEG file is three channels (RGB) but at only 8 bits per pixel.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have confused image size (which is pixels, width and height) with file size. These two are not the same, and are relatively independent of one another.

As explained, JPG is a compression technology, and the file size of a JPG does not indicate quality problems or other problems. There is most likely nothing wrong with an export at 3MB. Furthermore, even at 3MB, it is possible that you have the exact same number of pixels as in your original photo.

Please read: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you meant the resolution of the image, not its size?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines