• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files are not automatically associated with their xmp sidecar when imported into a new catalog?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened a new catalog, in addition to my "Main" catalog.

I have imported some of the files (photographs) from my main catalog into this new catalog, using the "add" facility (ie add the file to the new catalog without moving it, as is).

For one of these files the xmp sidecar was taken into account and the adjustements which I made in the original catalog were fully taken into account. For the others, the xmp sidecars were ignored and a "standard" preset was applied instead.

I have checked that both files and xmp's are present in the folder and that their denomination is correct (see attached screenshot)

Is there a way to make sure that an xmp sidecar will be associated to its file and all the adjustments are taken into account and duly applied?

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the other metadata associated with the file imported correctly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the other metadata associated with the file imported correctly?

Yes, all exif and IPTC fileds have been transfered and appear in their entirety for each file in the new catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need the previous catalog to have written all the editing you want out to XMP before the new catalog can read them in from XMP. If this had happened for some images, and not for others, only those some would reflect prior edits.

You can tell LrC to later re-read external XMP: Library module / Metadata menu / command 'Read Metadata from File'. Thus you could go back to the old Catalog, highlight those images, write metadata out (Ctrl+S), go to the new Catalog, read metadata in. 

But but but: external XMP can only ever hold PART of the information that a Catalog holds anyway. There'll be quite a bit of invested work potentially lost: in the case of a virtual copy, the entire thing. Also all Collection membership and management will have been stripped away. And all the prior steps of your editing History for that image. A few other matters also. So external XMP is second-best to a Catalog based method.

You can use Import from Another Catalog to transfer your work into a fresh clean Catalog, or another working catalog, with some selectivity.

With better selectivity you can select just the particular images you are interested in within the old Catalog, use Export as Catalog to save those out to a new, more concise, differently named Catalog.

Then you can proceed with this as-is. Or else you can use Import from Another Catalog to merge that into some other Catalog. This is the most effective way IMO to transfer edited images between Catalogs, e.g. between a travelling setup and a main working Catalog back at base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can tell LrC to later re-read external XMP: Library module / Metadata menu / command 'Read Metadata from File'. Thus you could go back to the old Catalog, highlight those images, write metadata out (Ctrl+S), go to the new Catalog, read metadata in. 

Worked perfectly well and solved the problem for now. Thanks!

you can use Import from Another Catalog to merge that into some other Catalog. This is the most effective way IMO to transfer edited images between Catalogs, e.g. between a travelling setup and a main working Catalog back at base.

Sounds as the ultimate tool/method for what I am trying to achieve! I will try out asap and adopt it as my working flow, for sure (provided I manage to make it work smoothly...). Many thanks for most useful tips!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Import from Another Catalog to transfer your work into a fresh clean Catalog, or another working catalog, with some selectivity.

With better selectivity you can select just the particular images you are interested in within the old Catalog, use Export as Catalog to save those out to a new, more concise, differently named Catalog.

Then you can proceed with this as-is. Or else you can use Import from Another Catalog to merge that into some other Catalog. This is the most effective way IMO to transfer edited images between Catalogs, e.g. between a travelling setup and a main working Catalog back at base.

Is there a tutorial avilable online for thse procedures? (I could not quite work it out...)

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to describe an example use case - maybe you can extrapolate from this - noting I am not in front of the software just now so working from memory.

Say you are going to import and work on newly taken images on a laptop, while you are travelling. You want the travel Catalog to look like your main Catalog with all the same keywords available etc, maybe you use some Smart Collections for your workflow, whatever. So you could highlight a single image in your main Catalog, and choose Export as Catalog command. This puts up some options: you would choose not to include Originals (you don't want a separate copy made of the source file for this image) and you would choose to include only the selected image(s) not all of them. The result is a new copy of your Catalog that includes no images apart from the one you'd highlighted. Put this new Catalog on the laptop. You can now remove the single image. As you travel, import and edit your new photos. Good idea to use a folder / filing arrangement on the laptop, e.g. a date based scheme, that matches your main setup, so that itthe data can later dovetail into that.

As an example, if you use a YYYY/MM/DD system in both places, there would be a 2022 somewhere in the laptop and also a 2022 somewhere in your main storage.

On returning, put this travel Catalog somewhere the main Catalog can access it. Import from Catalog to merge in all these images, including History and any Collections, virtual copies etc, to your main library. These images' source files will likely show up initially as "missing" as their new context is concerned. So first copy the travel source files over into your main storage, then re-browse the top level of "missing" folders that your main Catalog now shows, and use "Find Missing Folder", to redirect that to reference the appropriate folder within your main storage.

In the above example, you would be re-addressing one "2022" referring to the travel photos, and browsing that so it now points to the other "2022" in your main setup - which is where it will find all the travel photos' source files that have just been transferred. 

hth  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfectly clear, logical and straightforward procedure! 

It will definitely become part of my workflow for trips, when my work is first stored and edited on my laptop.

Many thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just tried it for real.

Works marvellously!

So many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines