• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files going missing. When I locate it, Lr thinks there's a duplicate but there's not

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a really strange issue that seems to be affecting only one of the folders in my Lr Classic catalogue.

Files from multiple folders within the 'Trips' folder are going missing (see screenshot). When I click to locate, I find the file but then it says "The file "filename.arw" is associated with another photo in the catalogue" so I click on 'Show in Library' and it just shows me the exact image I'm trying to locate. 

If I go to "All Photographs" and search for the filename, there is only one instance of the photo in my library. There is definitely no duplicate. I have not moved the files or renamed them outside of Lightroom. Every now and then, seemingly randomly, more and more files are going missing. 

Folders also show as missing and when I locate those, nothing updates. They remain missing and no warning or error message. 

The only solution I have found is to rename the file inside Lightroom. Then it magically appears OK again. But now I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of missing photos, so fixing things this way will take a lot of time and who's to say that more files won't continue to go missing. 

Would appreciate any help! 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My browser will not show the preview of your screenshot. Please include it in your reply by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon.

Files from multiple folders within the 'Trips' folder are going missing (see screenshot). When I click to locate, I find the file but then it says "The file "filename.arw" is associated with another photo in the catalogue" so I click on 'Show in Library' and it just shows me the exact image I'm trying to locate.

This indicates you have (accidentally) imported this photo more than once. Now one version is missing, while other versions are present and not missing.

You need to find these photos in Lightroom. Follow all of these four steps in order:

1. In the Lightroom Classic Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Classic Filter Bar

Once you find the copies of this photo and show us screen captures (using the "Insert Photos" icon), we can explain what to do next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already tried searching "All Photographs" and only 1 instance of each photo was being found. There were no diplicates in the library.

The solution I found was to move all of the subfolders of my 'Trips' folder into a new folder on my hard drive (done in Lightroom) and they all magically became found again. Hopefully this helps somebody else in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had already tried searching "All Photographs" and only 1 instance of each photo was being found.

I specifically asked you to perform a 4 step process, where you should perform all four steps. What happens when you try all four steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot of your folders panel shows several folders with a ? mark. That indicates the folder is missing. This happens when folders get moved or renamed outside of LrC. 

Worrying about missing photos can often be better solved by looking at missing folders, fix the folder issue, and the photo issues may all go away.

see:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

start with part 2 Updating folder location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines