Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Filter images that have been rotated

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I shoot image in both JPEG+RAW. When I rotate an image I've to export it again to erase the pre-calculated JPEG from my camera. I couldn't find a way to filter image that have been rotated, the edit attribute show only edited images.

Thanks a lot

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"I can filter based on the Orientation of the image but I couldn't found if the orientation of the image is edited after the photo was taken."

How LR handles rotation and flipping is weird -- they don't count as "edits", the catalog doesn't record their original setting, and thus you can't find photos that have been rotated or flipped after import. There's not even any visible setti

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at my Mac right now but I think you can use the excellent AnyFilter Plugin by @johnrellis with the "Orientation" criteria under Develop (i-p)

https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/anyfilter.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can filter based on the Orientation of the image but I couldn't found if the orientation of the image is edited after the photo was taken. My camera support orientation but sometimes it's mess up so I've to edit it afterward 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnyFilter will show that I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"I can filter based on the Orientation of the image but I couldn't found if the orientation of the image is edited after the photo was taken."

How LR handles rotation and flipping is weird -- they don't count as "edits", the catalog doesn't record their original setting, and thus you can't find photos that have been rotated or flipped after import. There's not even any visible setting that indicates a photo has been rotated or flipped!  

The best that Any Filter can do is compare the in-catalog rotation with what's written to the photo's metadata on disk.  To do that:

1. Do File > Plug-in Extras > Search.

2. Click New.

3. Set Name to be "Rotated in LR".

4. Select the criterion Library > Code.

5. In fields: enter "Orientation, EXIF:Orientation" (no quotes).

6. In code: copy/paste these lines:

(function ()
    local map = {
        ["Horizontal (normal)"] = "AB",
        ["Rotate 90 CW"] = "BC",
        ["Rotate 180"] = "CD",
        ["Rotate 270 CW"] = "DA"}
    local inEXIF = map [EXIFOrientation or "Horizontal (normal)"]
    local inCatalog = Orientation or "AB"
    return inEXIF ~= inCatalog
    end)()

It should look like:

johnrellis_0-1653505556502.png

4. Click OK.

5. Click Apply.

This will search your photos fairly slowly, anywhere from 50 to 150 photos/sec depending on your computer and the photos.

Note that if you have set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP, this won't work, since the rotation recorded in the catalog will always be the same as what's recorded in the photo's metadata on disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, that filter I provided won't work correctly on photos that have been flipped in the camera or in LR.  (It could be made to work, with many more lines of code.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that if you have set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP, this won't work, since the rotation recorded in the catalog will always be the same as what's recorded in the photo's metadata on disk.

By @johnrellis

Ok thanks for your suggestion this is working great on older photo with changes not save into XMP. Anyway I can make it work with the automatic same mode of XMP ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My bad this is working really great even with the autosave of XMP. Thanks a lot for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines