• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find nearby missing photos not working

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran Find Missing Photos.  A good number returned are all in the same folder.  The photos were probably moved from an initial processing temporary folder that was imported and possibly later moved in OS (I know - don't DO that...) to a new folder with a new folder.  I re-linked one and checked "Find nearby missing photos".  The error icon went away for the one photo but not the rest.  I re-ran Find Missing Photos and the number of photos changed by exactly one.  Windows 10 PC.  Photos on OneDrive.  I do have those images in multiple locations.  Leary of deleting any of them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then they are in another folder. Right click and select Show In Explorer and see Exactly where they are.

Simplest thing to do in the future is STOP moving files around inside or outside of LR. Place them in a drive/folder and leave them there. There is NO need to move files around once they are imported into the LR catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said - I did, and re-linked the photo and had Find nearby photos checked.  It linked the one but not the rest...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have the same problem.  I also tried a "select all" and highlighted all the missing photos.  This also only located the first photo of the highlighted ones.  I tried "Find all missing photos" and clicking on the "!". Again, only the fist photo is located.  Find "nearby missing photos is always checked."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this as well on a handful of macbook pros and think it may be a bug. All were running Mojave, 10.14.1 and Lr Classic 8.0.

As a workaround I updated the folder location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating folders did not work on my Windows 10 desktop PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have 2 copies of those images. This happens if at time of import the images were already on your hard drive and you had the Copy option selected at the top of the import dialog window.

If when doing a Sync Folder those images do NOT show up from the folder you think they are in, or the copies of them are in, then they are already in the LR catalog.

Search the catalog for one of the names of those files using the Filter Bar Text option.

Filter Test.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Found that I have duplicates - but in the same folder.  Not possible?  Exact duplicates - correct.  The filenames are the same however the extensions differ slightly.  One is lower case "jpg" and the other is uppercase "JPG".  New can of worms!  First - for general photographic file processing for a newbie - which is the preferred syntax form - upper case or (my guess) lower case.  Also - is there a way - viewing from the perspective of from OneDrive and / or Windows Explorer - which ones are included in the catalog?  And - can I presume that - (worst case) - I delete the wrong files of the duplicates then I can rebuild the catalog for this folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file names can't be Exactly the same.

You can't have 2 files with the same name with the same extension in the same folder.

Upper or lower case extensions doesn't matter. That isn't the difference. So there is either a Space in the front of the name or one letter is different or an extra space in the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are only in one place on my Windows PC.  (Little Cayman)

The photos were moved from the second Little Cayman (red) up two levels to the first Little Cayman (blue).

Folder hierarchy:

Photos        2018            Little Cayman

2018                    Little Cayman

"Update folder location" did not work for me. Nothing happened when I "update folder location" from the correct folder (blue). with the images and "i" (can not locate photos symbol).

When I "update folder location" from the folder where the images had been (red) I get the following error message:        An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)   Probably because the images are not there.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a workaround to my similar problem. The original folder was "Pictures" and the path was on my Desktop. When I transferred the image files to a hard drive the path was my camera folder "610"/then file number folder "140000-149999" then the 9999 images inside that folder. The ones I had transferred ranged from file number (filename) 0293-0365. I placed these into a new sub-folder named "Pictures" like the original, even though the directory path was not the same, it worked. By relinking to one and checking the box for "Find Nearby Missing Photos", they were all relinked in the blink of an eye. I just have to remember to create that same subfolder for these specific images on my backup drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines