Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flip and rotate don't get saved in history, affect original import

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With LR Classic 9.2

I'm just noticing that rotate and flip are not getting saved in the edit history and thus will change the imported image or any previous snapshots. 

Is this the way it has always worked or am I only now just seeing this?

To reproduce:

start with an unedited image (history only shows import)

Take a snapshot called "V1"

Either "Flip Vertically", "Flip Horizontally" or Rotate Left/Right (all have same behavior)

Note that this operation is not stored in the history and it still only shows "Import". 

Take a snapshot called "V2"

Go back to V1 and the image does not go back to previous orientation (flipped or rotated)

and the "Import" version in history also does not revert to the original state meaning the flip permenantly altered the image and all previous snapshots.

As a test I tried other edits like adjusting white balance or exposure between the two snapshots.

These do change as expected but the new image rotation is not getting stored in the history and doesn't revert. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

This is the way is has alweays worked. The Rotation setting is not recorded in the history of edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way is has alweays worked. The Rotation setting is not recorded in the history of edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that.

Dunno why I never noticed before but seems odd you can flip the image and the original import is now altered. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you aren't changing the image. You are just displaying it @ a different rotation. Nothing IN the image has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a valid point and for me it is not something I really noticed before so not a huge issue. 

Though now that I am aware of it, I can think of a couple ways this could cause confusion or annoyance.

First being that I have hundreds of thousands of pics spanning more than a decade. When I go to "import" I was previously under the impression that I am seeing exactly what came out of the camera. Now it could be, or might have been flipped or rotated in the meantime and I forgot. (which is mainly an issue for re-exporting an old print or client image and having to verify what it looked like previous) 

Also with snapshots. If I make several snapshots I would like to be able to one click toggle between them to export for various uses. But if I flip horizontal, all previous snapshots versions are now flipped, so it is not quite the same "snapshot" that it was before. 

Anyway, as long as it is working as designed and not a bug, it is what it is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR is a little schizoid about whether the rotation and flip commands are "develop settings". They get Auto-Synced, but they aren't copied by Copy Settings/Sync, they can't be set by presets, and they don't show up in the History panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a significant issue for me because I am photographing hundreds of slides using a camera and copy stand, with slides emulsion side up, so they need to be flipped horizontal to be correct.  Before I had a good workflow pattern, I flipped some but I had not yet flipped others.  I would like to know which images I flipped.  Is there no way to do that in Lightroom?

I do realize I can view each image as displayed in Explorer and compare the LR image with the original, but this is tedious.  Ideally I would like to be able to select all non-flipped images and flip them.

Thanks for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would like to know which images I flipped."

Use the Any Filter plugin:

johnrellis_0-1643670252112.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  Since posting this, I realized I could use Jeffrey Friedl's Data Explorer plugin or your AnyFilter plugin.  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines