Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folder wont import into Lightroom with unknown error

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I've created a new catologue in Lightroom, having first created a new photo folder the way I wanted it. I imported the entire folder with sub folders, but when it comes to the last folder, which happens to contain the bulk of my photos, it comes up with an unknown error?!

I'm working from my HD, using the latest version of Classic from the cloud. I tried importing just the first subfolder from the main folder as it only has one picture and that didn't work. I just can't see why it wont import.

Anyone got any suggestions? I've attached the folder structures incase its something within that I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

I did think that as I'd seen in another similar post that someone had used a character that wasn't allowed. But I'm on a MAC and all the other folders have a similar file format and they've all copied across without any problems. So I'm stumped?!

By @APK1972

You must remove that slash for the following reason: Lightroom Classic uses the forward slash as separator in the file path. That means that a folder that is called 'xxx/yyy' will be seen as a parent folder called 'xxx' with a subfolder ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC you have a : in the folder name  and in the OS you are using a /.      Change the / to something else like a - and see if it works.  Its not a good idea to use some characters like / in a folder or filename even though Windows lets you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did think that as I'd seen in another similar post that someone had used a character that wasn't allowed. But I'm on a MAC and all the other folders have a similar file format and they've all copied across without any problems. So I'm stumped?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter whether you're on a Mac or PC. As Bob says, in Finder remove the / or : from a folder and its filenames and try importing it. What happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other folders Cityscape and Landscape  with a / I don't see in the LrC folder panel.  Are they actually imported.  As @john beardsworth  said, remove/change the / and see if it works.  Something might have changed in import.  As shown in LrC Preferences, some characters can create problems when used in filenames and folders and can create issues like this and should be avoided.  / is one of them.   

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 11.39.06 AM.jpg

ā€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @APK1972

You must remove that slash for the following reason: Lightroom Classic uses the forward slash as separator in the file path. That means that a folder that is called 'xxx/yyy' will be seen as a parent folder called 'xxx' with a subfolder called 'yyy' inside it. Obviously that leads to unexpected errors because that folder hierarchy does not exist. This has nothing to do with what MacOS allows, it's Lightroom Classic that can't deal with it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems strange that it allowed and imported files named in exactly the same way, but I went through and renamed everything and it worked. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines