• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Follow up to Embedded Preview question above

Engaged ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The General choice from Edit > Preferences > General I picked was "replace embedded previews with STD ones during idle time."

Nothing happened. Plus, what does 'Idle Time' even mean. CPU shut down? Do I wake up tomorrow and the problem is fixed?

Help!

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021
WobertC,
Thank you for your information. For some reason the problem has ceased. All
I remember doing was figuring out that in both Develop (clicking on the
crop tool just once) and in the Slideshow option, I could see my images at
the proper size to fit my screen. I shall keep your info in case this
happens again but it will not be because I chose to get embedded previews.
That is for sure!
Best,
Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have chosen to use "Embedded Previews" when you Import the photos, Lightroom uses the JPG that the camera created to show you the image on your camera screen. This icon indicates you are looking at the 'Camera-Created' preview-

WobertC_0-1621203024358.png

'Embedded Previews' are only intended to be a fast way to preview your images as you Import your files.

When you then click on a thumbnail to view in Loupe View or the Develop module Lr-Classic then creates its own rendered Preview. Or, while Lr-Classic is running, and you are not doing intensive editing (like brush work), then it is "idle" and it will create Adobe's version of the image for previews, but LrC has to be 'running'!. The icon disappears when you are seeing the Adobe created preview.

You can select all photos and render the ADobe version Previews from the Library Menu > Previews >Build Standard (or 1:1) Previews.

If you have some patience, and do not need 'instant' previews, don't use this option, simply use 'Standard Previews' when you Import.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Embedded previews are created by your camera when you took the raw photo. This is what LR initially uses to display thumbnails in the Library module. 

Lightroom uses its own develop engine, together with defaults which can be adjusted, to create its own previews. These can be standard sized, based on your screen, or full screen sized, or full sized 1:1. He LR previews will also take into account any Develop adjustments  you've made. 

Since building previews can take some time, especially for lots of high megapixel images, Lightroom can start with embedded previews from the camera, and build standard previews in the background when you aren't using LR (idle time). If you start using LR, the preview building will pause. That's all that the idle time option is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
WobertC,
Thank you for your information. For some reason the problem has ceased. All
I remember doing was figuring out that in both Develop (clicking on the
crop tool just once) and in the Slideshow option, I could see my images at
the proper size to fit my screen. I shall keep your info in case this
happens again but it will not be because I chose to get embedded previews.
That is for sure!
Best,
Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines