• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Français/English) conservation des métadonnées d'un ancien catalogue sur un nouveau Disque Dur

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

J'enregistre mon catalogue Lightroom sur un Disque dur externe.

Celui-ci a atteint sa limite de capacité de stockage, je suis donc obligé de stocker mes nouvelles photos sur un nouveau Disque dur, et de démarrer un niouveau catalogue

Comment ouis-je conserver les mots-clés, les métadonnées et les collections dans le nouveau Disque Dur ?

Merci pour votre aide !

Hello,

I save my Lightroom catalog on an external hard drive.

It has reached its storage capacity limit, so I have to store my new photos on a new hard drive, and start a new catalog

How do I keep keywords, metadata and collections in the new Hard Drive?

Thank you for your help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save my Lightroom catalog to an external hard drive.

It has reached its storage capacity limit, so I have to store my new photos on a new hard drive, and start a new catalog

Do you mean you store the photos on an external drive and the disk is full? This shouldn't be a problem, just use the same catalog (not a new catalog) and import new photos to a new drive.

Or if necessary, move some/all of the photos to a new drive following these instructions. Still, no need to create a new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank's a lot. So I only copy and transfer the ex catalog in the new hard drive?

--

Merci beaucoup. Merci beaucoup. Je ne copie et ne transfère que l'ex-catalogue sur le nouveau disque dur ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank's a lot. So I only copy and transfer the ex catalog in the new hard drive?

I never said anything about copying a catalog to a new hard drive; and that's unnecessary anyway. As I understand your problem, you are running out of space and you are going to need to use another drive and you want to know how to have the same catalog access files on more than one disk. In that case, no copying of anything is needed. Here is what I said:

"This shouldn't be a problem, just use the same catalog (not a new catalog) and import new photos to a new drive."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if I misunderstand. Here is my situation:

In a single external hard drive, I have all my photos AND the LR Catalog. This hard drive is full.

So I have to use a new, blank external disk. Therefore, how can I continue to use this catalog - which is on the old hard drive, full - and all the predefined parameters (such as keywords, dynamic collections etc.) to apply them to future photos that I will import to the new Hard Drive?

Do I have to:

- copy this catalog to the new external hard drive?

- copy this catalog to my Mac's Internal Disk in order to have it permanently?

- create a new catalog and import the parameters of the old catalog?

Thank you for your advice (and sorry again for my insistance)

--

Je suis désolé si je comprends mal. Voici ma situation :

Dans un seul et même disque dur externe, j'ai toutes mes photos ET le Catalogue LR. Ce disque est plein.

Je dois donc utiliser un nouveau disque externe, vierge. Dès lors, comment continuer à utiliser ce catalogue - qui est sur l'ancien disque dur, plein - et tous les paramètres prédéfinis (comme les mots-clés, les collections dynamiques etc.) pour les appliquer sur les futures photos que je vais importer sur le nouveau Disque dur ?

Est-ce que je dois :

- copier ce catalogie sur le nouveau disque dur externe ?

- copier ce catalogue sur le Disque interne de mon Mac afin de l'avoir en permanence à demeure ?

- créer un nouveau catalogue et importer les paramètres de l'ancien catalogue ?

Merci de votre conseil (et encore désolé de mon insistance)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I have to:

- copy this catalog to the new external hard drive?

As stated twice before, NO you don't have to do this — but you can if you want to

copy this catalog to my Mac's Internal Disk in order to have it permanently?

No, but you certainly can if you want to.

- create a new catalog and import the parameters of the old catalog?

No, very bad idea. Let's not even discuss this further.

You can leave the catalog where it is and import photos to the NEW hard drive. Why? Because the photos are not stored in the catalog file. The catalog file, when you do this, will grow slightly bigger, because it is a database which contains information about the photos, but does not contain the photos themselves.

You might want to clear some space on the existing hard drive by moving photos to the new hard drive, so the catalog file has room to grow. I gave you a link earlier on how to do that.

Bottom line — the catalog can be left alone. Only some of the existing photos need to be moved to clear up some space; and new photos imported to the catalog but stored on the new external drive.

The alternative is to copy the catalog file to the new (empty) external drive, and import photos to that new external hard drive.

Most people move the catalog to the internal drive, if there is enough space, as in theory catalogs operate faster in the Library Module when on the internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Riap 

I suggest to NOT keep the catalog the external HDD.

Ideally this is the best working scenario for you.

1) Catalog stored on Mac with smaller internal SSD (e.g 1Tb SSD)

2) Photos stored on much bigger capacity external SSD (e.g one or more 4Tb SSD)

Do you "Store Presets with catalog" or not!?

Can you share a screenshot of the Catalog folder?

Je peux répondre en français en cas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding about what dj_paige is stating. He is recommending that you ADD an additional external hard drive, and move your photos to that new drive. He is not recommending that you replace the existing external hard drive, or relocate the existing catalog. He is recommending you keep that hard drive, and keep the catalog on that hard drive as it currently resides. When you move the photos, do so from within LrC.

Remember that the photos are not in the catalog, they are separate files, both the originals and any exports. Photos do not have to be on the same drive as the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you very much, I had become aware of this misunderstanding.

I have 40,000 pictures, so I'm not going to move them to another external hard drive.

I will take another external, blank hard drive and add the new photos to it. I just want to be able to keep the metadata and other predefined parameters of my current catalog, so that I can apply them to my future pictures...

I think we don't understand each other, dj_paige's question and answers (thanks to him anyway for taking time to answer me) do not match...

I will continue to look for my answer

___

Oui, merci beaucoup, j'avais pris conscience de cette mauvaise compréhension.

J'ai 40 000 photos, je ne vais donc pas les déplacer sur un autre disque dur externe.

Je vais prendre un autre disque dur externe, vierge, et y ajouter les nouvelles photos. Je veux juste pouvoir  conserver les métadonnées et autres paramètres prédéfinis de mon catalogue actuel, pour pouvoir les appliquer sur mes futures photos...

Je crois en effet qu'on ne se comprrend pas, la question et les réponses de dj_paige (merci quand même à lui d'avoir pris du temps pour me répondre) ne correspondent pas...

Je vais continuer à chercher ma réponse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take another external, blank hard drive and add the new photos to it. I just want to be able to keep the metadata and other predefined parameters of my current catalog, so that I can apply them to my future pictures...

Import the photos to the new hard drive using the old catalog. This keeps metadata and edits for all your photos. Do not use a different catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As simple as that !

Thank you 😉

--

Aussi simple que ça !

Merci 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines