• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

from photoshop back to lightroom?

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  If someone has the answer to my problem, I would be so appreciative.  All along, I "command e" from lightroom to photoshop and then "save" in photoshop when I am finished and my image saves back into lightroom in a TIFF file... until yesterday.  I don't know where the saved file from photoshop goes but it does not go back into LR.  This is a major interruption to my workflow and quite frustrating.  Any help for a desperate photog??? Please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you in a collection when you are sending images to PS? Images aren't auto placed in a collection when going back into LR when saved in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you start from a collection, the saved tiff will get saved back into the same collection. This is my preferred workflow, because it is easy to find the tiff in LR when I return. This even works if you save the file as a PSD to some other location of your drive, and give it a new name. It didn't always work this way, but thankfully that got fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you return to Lightroom and do not see the .tif it will likely be as JSM has suggested. If you have exported to Photoshop from within a collection you will need to synchronize the original file folder to have the edited file added to that folder. From within your collection, right click to 'Go to folder in Library', select that folder in the left column, right click and Synchronize. It will be added to the folder. You may want to add it to your collection at that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't know where the saved file from photoshop goes but it does not go back into LR.  This is a major interruption to my workflow and quite frustrating."

When you select an image to 'Edit in Photoshop' (CMD E) then save and return to Lightroom, the edited file is being saved to the original folder that the image is in in  your catalog. It should also show up in your collection. If you don't see it when you go back to Lightroom, check to see what your 'Sort' is on and change it to 'added order' or 'capture time'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed: this is frustrating.  The replies keep mentioning "catalogues" and "collections" but I -for one- am in Lightroom CC (as opposed to Lightroom Classic CC ...which used to be called Lightroom CC, right?) which uses terms like "folder" and "album" - and so I, too, would like a solution to this very same issue.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The replies keep mentioning "catalogues" and "collections" but I -for one- am in Lightroom CC (as opposed to Lightroom Classic CC ...which used to be called Lightroom CC, right?) which uses terms like "folder" and "album" - and so I, too, would like a solution to this very same issue. 

This forum is for LR Classic (the traditional desktop-focused LR). If you repost in the LR CC forum (for the cloud-focused LR), you'll get better help faster: Lightroom CC — The cloud-based photo service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since PS would give you a TIFF file upon PS save or close, I assume you started with a RAW file in LR? Or did you actually select to edit in PS as a copy?

Anyhow, in LR, ion the folder the initial image is in, did you try a SYNC? (for the folder)?

Also, while your issue is different from the prevailing issue of grayed out menu items in PS when doing an edit in from LR (if PS is not running when you hit that edit in button, or other edits sent to PS from LR), test the work around for that known bug. Start PS before you send the image over to PS from LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you have your answer, yet, but I've found I have to save and CLOSE in PS for it to roundtrip back to LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be higher up - this is the actual problem in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC.

1.  Open in Photoshop
  2. Make edits
  3. Save
  4. Close file in PS
  5. Lightroom will show '2' next to the thumbnail of the image to show that there are two versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, I'm fairly new to LRc but been struggling with this problem for a few days and it wasn't always the case! Maybe a new iMac and new versions have created the same problem as above? I do what i always did, LRc to edit in PS but now the  PS edited version (2) does not show up in the LRc catalogue collection, but in the original folder on my external drive instead! As an added bonus, I am no longer able to create virtual copies and for them to appear in the film strip. Are these two issues connected? Any suggestions very gratefully received. Thanks, Neil in UK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russell, Your experience is not mine  (in Lr-Classic 9 and Ps2020 -Windows)

I can send a file from Lr to Ps by [Ctrl+E]

'Save' the new Ps file (do not Close)- it appears in Lr, (afer this 'first' Save)

Keep editing the file still remaining in Ps, 'Save' again- and the preview/photo in Lr is updated to the new Ps edit.

I can do this repeatedly (without ever 'Closing' the photo in Ps) - each Ps save updates the file in Lr.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as above. Send file to PS from LR, press Ctrl + s to save it as a new TIF file it immediately shows up in LR Classic.

The RAF file sent to PS. Time stamp is File name.

Then I did a Ctrl + s. Again time stamp is file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I am not in a collection - just my photos. Has always worked fine until today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I have Lightroom cc. My LR image  is not in a collection. I am not able to press File> save to get the image back to LR.

Sometimes  'Save ' is grayed out and sometimes it is active but the image is not saved . Ths is very frustrating.

HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lightroom classic LrC.  I just save it in Photoshop and it transfers the photo automaticaly back to LrC as a second photo next to the original.   

This looks like an old post... there must have been an upgrade.

Happy Editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines