Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting masks to apply

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

Loving the new auto masking feature, but when I'm done creating my mask and hit "Done" on the bottom, similar to completing a crop/straighten edit, the mask seems to go away.

When I export while in the masking options, the mask doesn't appear to come with it. Am I missing something about applying masks to pictures?

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Lightroom or Lightroom Classic. I do not see a Done button in Lightroom Classic?

On an exported image, you should only see the adjustments that the masks did to the image. There will not actually be any "mask" itself visible.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Classic - I should say that the adjustments the mask made don't seem to be carrying over. I tried both in Classic and the non-Classic version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it is some glitch.  I have seen some other posts on here about it.  I have been trying to add masking to some images and if it was an image that was in my library/collection that I had done some previous edits on it will not keep the mask.  If it is a photo that I had not done anything to but import, the mask will stay on for the export.  I am using the classic version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lucasv55272814  I still don't see a done button in Lightroom Classic (LrC). When you have finished the mask(s) with the desired adjustments, click on the mask icon in the little tool bar that also has the crop tool, the mask panel will go away and the mask will have been applied. You also can complete the masking operation by hitting the enter/return key.

Can you post a screen shot (not attachment) to show what you are describing?

Here is a wonderful tutorial about the new masking by Julieann Kost on YouTube.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KR Seals wrote:

@lucasv55272814  I still don't see a done button in Lightroom Classic (LrC). .

When you are working in a mask, the Done button is in the right corner of the toolbar below the image. Press the 'T' key if you do not see that bar.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok. Thanks for the tip Johan! It does the same as enter and clicking on the icon for masking. I would never use that when I have my mouse up at the top where the controls are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lucasv55272814  Are you adjusting sliders to alter the area under the mask?  eg. Are you changing Exposure?

Unless you change sliders you will not see any changes to the image.

Rob_Cullen_0-1636153157166.png

And any color overlay will "go away" as that is only a guide to show where the adjustments are applied.

"When I export while in the masking options the mask doesn't appear to come with it." - To be expected, until you apply the edit changes with the [Done] button.

Perhaps I am not understanding your question and workflow.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps an experiment

Create a new mask, select the Brush, click on the photo

Turn off the overlay

Modify the exposure slider to full blown overexposure

click done.

Do you see a massively overexposed circle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines