Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting Photos from Lightroom Mobile (iPad) into Lightroom Classic

Participant ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to consolidate my collection and get LR photos off my iPad and into Lightroom Classic on my laptop (without importing duplicates).   

Any advice of the best way how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Tim

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

"all synced photos" is only a list of the ALL synced images (like a Playlist in iTunes).

To find where the original files have downloaded - [Right-Click] on one of the photos in the "all synced photos" and choose [Go to Folder in Library]. This will highlight the FOLDER and show you where the image is in your system.

It is in the Preferences/Lightroom Sync where you can set the Folder Location (& Dated sub-folders) for the downloads, but doing this now will not change the location of previous

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on 'Sync' in Lr-Classic.!

But first- Set Lightroom Sync preferences (see the Help page link)

That's all you need do! Give it time.

SYNC SETUP IN CLASSIC

After all photos have downloaded you can investigate how to [Delete] files from the Cloud.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Rob !   It seemed to work somewhat but will have to check and see what came into my laptop. Not that many files got copied from the iPad so I’ll have to try and see what transpired (35 of 2,000).   It says it is fully synced though.  Perhaps it only syncs iPad  files saved to and album or collection ? I assume the laptop would be the master library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have iPhone, but iPad should be similar.

One thought- If photos in the iPad only exist in the iPad Camera Roll then they will not sync to LrC. You need to set the Lr options to automatically Import (Add) all files from Camera Roll to the Lr library. So check the Lr options.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob,   I've probably made a real mess of things by trying out LR mobile and putting my RAW files there for a few months.  At this point I'm actually only trying to recover the Raw files from the ipad for this period.   I have around 20 k jpg iphone photos on the iphone/iclound that I don't want to bring into LR Classic.   Basically,  I want to get back to my original system of iPhone photos on iPhone/iCloud and dslr(raw) photos in LR Classic.  I have 20 years of photos in LR Classic, and about 2 months worth of my DSLR(raw photos, 1,000 pix) on the iPad.   The sync operation brought 35 photos over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have around 20 k jpg iphone photos on the iphone/iclound that I don't want to bring into LR Classic.

So do NOT turn on the option in Lr to  'automatically' import the Camera Roll photos (the JPGs).

by trying out LR mobile and putting my RAW files there for a few months.

Then your RAW files are in the Adobe Cloud!.

Open Lightroom-Web at:  https://lightroom.adobe.com/  and see exactly what files are in your Adobe Cloud store.

If your Lightroom-Classic has [Sync] active then these files should be downloading! Check the [All Synced Photographs] in the Catalog Panel of Lr-Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again !

I have now found all the iPad pictures  in Classic in a folder called "all synced photos".  I guess I assumed they would go into folders for the date taken.  Is there a way to get them from the sync folder into the date folder system automatically, or do I have to manually create all the date folders and move them over ?

Secondly,  with these pictures having three locations (iPad, cloud and classic) is it fair to assume that if I delete files in any one of these locations and then sync, then the files will be deleted in the other two locationss ? 

thanks for your help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"all synced photos" is only a list of the ALL synced images (like a Playlist in iTunes).

To find where the original files have downloaded - [Right-Click] on one of the photos in the "all synced photos" and choose [Go to Folder in Library]. This will highlight the FOLDER and show you where the image is in your system.

It is in the Preferences/Lightroom Sync where you can set the Folder Location (& Dated sub-folders) for the downloads, but doing this now will not change the location of previous synced files. Any change will affect future sync downloads. But you can now 'Move' the files from the default download location to any folder of your choice by moving the files in the Folder panel of Lr-Classic.

"...then the files will be deleted in the other two locations ?"

No- deleting images from the "all synced photos" list, or in the iPad Lightroom, will delete them from the Cloud (and iPad). The files successfully downloaded to folders in Classic will not be affected or deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again !

I've found where they are located on my external drive;  2500 files in a single folder called Lightroom Sync Photos.  Looking at meta data,  I see that approx 700 are iPhone photos which I don't want to delete from the  iPhon/iPad/cloud.   The other 1800 photos are from my DSLR that I want to get into Classic folders as part of my master classic library (from sync folder into individual folders by date taken).  

When I import photos into Lightroom from my camera SD card,  folders are automatically generated.   I would like to do this for the  RAW sync photos,  but the import function is not allowing a direct import from the external drive.  So perhaps I can copy them to an SD card and then import into LR Classic from there.  Do you think that approach will produce the desired results ?   This would be a lot easier than manually creating all the folders and moving the files if feasible.

As for the 700 photos,  I would like to get them off the my external drive but don't want to loose them on the iPad and iCloud;   Do you have suggestions for that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've found where they are located on my external drive; 2500 files in a single folder called Lightroom Sync Photos."

Good! So- You cannot Import them a second time! They are already IN your catalog.

"photos are from my DSLR that I want to get into Classic folders as part of my master classic library (from sync folder into individual folders by date taken)."

Again- they ALREADY are a "part" of your master classic catalog!

Getting them into dated folders now offers you choices- And, yes, the second option is the easier!

1) If you have edited these images at any time- you do not want to lose that work! So you would use the Folder panel to Drag&Drop the images to date folders. Either to pre-existing date folders, or create new folders. Use a Search Filter to find images by 'date'. But this is going to be tedious work.

2) You could 'Remove' them from the Catalog and re-import them using the Dated format for Import. You do not have to copy or move them to a USB stick. The Re-import can do a [COPY] from the external drive to the internal drive with dated folders, and you manually delete the files on the external drive later -after a successful Import!

Caution Note: Do NOT ever 'Delete from disk'! A good suggestion would be that before you 'Remove' from the Catalog - you Select ALL, Save metadata [Ctrl+S]. Then the re-import will re-apply develop edits.

Re the 700 iPad photos- I am not really sure of a correct answer here- Leave them on the external until for a time until you have a correct answer for this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks again !

I'm going with option to 2 so I can save a lot of work (ie; creating new date folders).   However,  I have a few questions as follows:

* I'm confused by "re-import from external drive to internal drive".  The goal is to have all the files reside on the external drive.

* I've saved the meta data for all the files now.  Based on above comment,  can I just remove all the files from the catalogue,  and then re-import only the RAW files (ie; excluding iPhone jpg).  The hope is that this would auto generate all the date folders and populate them accordingly ?

thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

remove all the files from the catalogue,

Yes. it MUST be [REMOVE]  and NOT [Delete from Disk]!!!

"re-import from external drive to internal drive"?. The goal is to have all the files reside on the external drive.

Then in the Import dialog- Select the 'Source' as the raw files on the External. Set the Import method to [COPY]. Select another 'Parent' folder on the External Drive as the 'Destination (in the Destination Panel) , and using a 'Dated' format.- Import.

You could use the [MOVE] option in the Import, but I think it is 'safer' to use [COPY] then delete the source raw files later, especially with a very large number of files! Check the files in their 'new' location in the catalog before deleting the 'old' location folder with File Explorer.

The hope is that this would auto generate all the date folders and populate them accordingly ?

You must use a 'Date' preset in the Import dialog like this screen-clip, and select a new Parent folder location for the dated sub-folders.

Rob_Cullen_0-1638860077404.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for this advice ! It sounds pretty straight forward.    I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance and let you know how it goes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,  as it turned out,  the sync folder does not allow you to remove files from the catalogue. It operates differently than the other folders.   Attached is a screenshot of the message when I try to remove the files from the catalogue in the sync folder

66AD91BC-B987-45FE-9C8A-EDD52652E887.jpeg

Based on this, I wonder if the proposed process will work since the "removed"  files will not be removed from the catalogue.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"  the sync folder does not allow you to remove files from the catalogue."

Note the dialog is headed- DELETE Photos!

The message is correct.  It DELETES files from other synced devices (iPhones, iPads, Lr-Desktop, Lr-Web), and your Cloud storage,

but in the Classic Catalog (with the downloaded files) the files are not deleted or removed.

However IMO I think the message words- "...But will not be deleted from the desktop catalog" are somewhat mis-leading! It should read "from the Classic catalog", as the Cloud version of Lightroom is sometimes referred to as Lightroom-Desktop. Even Adobe do not get some terms correct.

To 'REMOVE'  (NOT Delete from the Drive) the files from the Classic Catalog you need to locate and select photos in the FOLDER in the Folder panel of LrC where the Cloud files have downloaded. (Not in the Catalog panel, and not in the Collections panel)

AND you must be sure that all your Cloud files have downloaded before you select and [Remove]!  I would be very wary if "(35 of 2,000)" is true!! That would need investigation. If they have not downloaded then [Delete] from the [All Synced Photos] would delete them totally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks again Rob,  I now have all my files,  from the sync operation, in the appropriate date files.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Rob ! It seemed to work somewhat but will have to check and see what came into my laptop. Not that many files got copied from the iPad so I’ll have to try and see what transpired (35 of 2,000). It says it is fully synced though. Perhaps it only syncs iPad files saved to and album or collection ? I assume the laptop would be the master library.

Tim Holley
604 834 6040

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines