Getting "mfc140u.dll is either not designed..." error message

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else gotten the
 Error_mfc140u.jpg

error message?

This came up today for the first time.  I've uninstalled Lightroom Classic and re-installed it twice.

I ran Microsoft's SFC utility, but that came out clean.
I read on one post this type of error may be due to a recent Window's update.  

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got it resolved by replacing the version of mfc140u.dll I had with a version that I downloaded from www.sts-tutorial.com.

I did it with a bit of trepidation with fear that I was also downloading some malware along with it.  If the Internet suddenly goes down in the next week, it might have been me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue after upgrading to Lightroom Classic 9.2. Reverting back to 9.1 was OK.  In your case, have you had further problems after replacing mfc140u.dll ? I'm a little reluctant to do it for fear of creating even more problems after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had any trouble so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the folks needing to replace an MFC DLL, I would recommend downloading the install package directly from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same error. I have tried both of the methods here with no luck. I did have snags on my windows updates and had to force them but no luck after that. If anyone has any other methods that may fix this issue I would love to hear it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, downloading both available files.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. I Have same issue, no way to solve it. Win 10 Pro, ACER V3, Core I7, 16 GB RAM ddr 3, Nvidia650M 2GB, 240 GB ssd. Do you have any answer from Adobe or Microsoft, Link to file or tutorial? No viruses or malware need.Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic & Lightroom won't open mfc140.dil was not found?Screenshot 2023-03-27 121635.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic & Lightroom won't open mfc140.dil was not found?

Grahame29092245ppxf_0-1680258054856.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated the app and now it wont open on my computer. I can use it if I am on an online browser, but not as an app on my computer. I get a little tab that pops up and says, " The code execution cannot proceed beacause mfc140u.dil was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this program." I have tried to reinstall the app but the same thing happens. Is this a fault in the app or my computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Destiny28959537f7kb 

Thanks for highlighting the issue that you see with Photoshop. We're here to help.

Which version of Lightroom are you using? When do you get the error message?

Please try the steps suggested in this similar discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-discussions/p-lightroom-mfc140u-dll-m....

Let us know if that helps.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ranjisha Sengupta wrote:

Which version of Lightroom are you using? When do you get the error message?

Please try the steps suggested in this similar discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-discussions/p-lightroom-mfc140u-dll-m....

@Destiny28959537f7kb 

Are you using Photoshop or Lightroom? You posted to the Photoshop forum and we can move your post if needed.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, just fixed my issue with mfc140.dil. First load this page.

mfc140u.dll : Free .DLL download. - DLLme.com

Then go to windows Icon and type in search bar System Information > Click on Service info and find what bit your laptop is running on.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 115438.png

Select your system type then click download. Once complete open the file to see it's now downloaded.

Now click on My PC > Hardrive > Windows file > locate System 32 file

Now drag and drop your new MFC140 file into the System 32 file, if you get replace file, click on replace file. Once completed LrC & Lr opened up. Hope this helps everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloading executables from some random web site is extremely risky. You never know what's lurking inside of that file.

Thor Egil Leirtrø
Freelance concert photographer - thoregilphoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This fixed my problem. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines