• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPS coordinates not being imported to LR 12.2 from Nikon Z7

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Nikon Z7s, run LR 12.2 on MacOS Monterey 12.6.  I use a "dangle" that picks up GPS coords and feeds them to thesamera via a cable.  About three years ago and earlier the GPS coords ALWAYS were read by LR and appeared in the right hand column of the LR Library module.  Then there was a hiatus when I didn'tuse the dangle.  I started using it again two years ago.  The correct coords would appear in the NEF files of my images but not in the LR library module.  Stangeley it would show GPS coords from and old image taken in 2019.  Always the same - never changing.  AND YET CORRECT GPS COORDS COULD BE SEENWHEN I EXAMINED THE NEF FILE ON DISK.  A few months ago I upgraded the dongle that detects GPS and feeds it tothe samera.  Didn't make any difference.  LR 12.2 is still picking up some old set of GPS coords and attaching them TO EVERY IMAGE!!  But correct GPS coords can still be seen when I examine the NEF file on disk;  And this is not just a small difference - the coords that it is placinbg in all of my images now are from the Hebrides at +59 north!! which is close to the last time that LR was putting the correct coords into the files.  I had traveled in the Hebrides in 2019.  This problem occurs for both of my camera bodies and did not change when Iupgraded my GPS dongles.  It seems to me that since the CORRECT coords can be seen in the NEF files on my hard drives, the problem is NOT with the cameras or the dongles but with how LR is reading things.  I have tried calling the LR help line a few times and even spoken with a "senior" advisor but no luck.  Any ideas??

jayfrogel@me.com

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot toe add that when I use Adobe Camera Raw to view the info of the files result is identical to what I desribed for lgihtroom.  Note that I am using ACR to examine the files that LR has ALREADy put on disk from the XQD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a next troubleshooting step, select a file straight off the card that hasn't been imported into LR and a file from the local disk that has been imported into LR. Upload both files to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.  I can put the files under the microscope to see where the hangup is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for delay in replying.  Here is the link to the drop box folder.  I THINK this will let you copy the files, etc.  I have to plead a certain degree of ignorance when it comes to using dropbox 😞 so I hope this works.  Please advise if it doesn't

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/pte0lx9d31pd58zrawrmk/h?dl=0&rlkey=py3vkyqqg8e9lz4as50lasi5a

There are five files in the dropbox folder:

_6290002.NEF is file read directly from the xqd card and put on my computer via straight copy.

20230313-Z7-001.NEF is LR generated file after I read the card with LR

20230313-Z7-001.xmp is accompanying sidecar file

IMG_2432.jpg is a picture with my iphone of theright hand column in Library module of LR when the file is viewed IN LR.  

IMG_2433.jpg displays the info visible when I click on 20230313-Z7-001.NEF in FINDER (as oppsed to viewing it in LR!) on my Mac  (i.e the LR generated image file but not viewed in LR).  The  coords displayed here are correct and are those of my home where the image was taken a little while ago - clearly different from those in IMG_2432!

SO - Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a deeply buried parameter that I have accidentaly mis-set in LR on on the many layered menu system on my Z7??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both _6290002.NEF and 20230313-Z7-001.NEF have the correct Maryland coordinates recorded in them, while 20230313-Z7-001.xmp contains the Scotland coordinates. When I import the two .nefs without the .xmp sidecar present, they both show the correct Maryland coordinates in the Metadata panel.

I should have thought of this originally: Most likely, you have an Import metadata preset that's applying the Scotland coordinates to every imported photo. To check that, in the Import window, is there a metadata preset selected in Apply During Import > Metadata (in the right column)?  If so, select Edit Presets, select that preset, and see if Camera Info > GPS is checked -- if it is, uncheck it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under APPLY DURING IMPORT there are three possibilities:  DEVELOP SETTINGS where "none" is selected and then METADATA where the selection is "copyright info"  Then there is the Keywords box which is empty. SO I deleted the images from disk WITHIN LR, and reimported them with "check all metadata" selected.  reimported the image.  Now NO GPS info came over.into LR.   OK so deleted images from disk again. Now CHECK NONE selected and since I had to give it a name, called it "none".  VOILA!!  correct coords appeared in LR.  I do not understand what's going on - am I missing soemthing very basic?  Shouldn't having "NONE" checked mean that nothing gets in??  Please enlighten me 🙂  I didn't exaclty follow your instruction to just uncheck GPS but the puzzle "for me at lealst" would remain.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, how do you "read" what's in the sidecar xmp file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"how do you "read" what's in the sidecar xmp file?"

The .xmp sidecars are just text files -- you can open them in TextEdit or any other text editor, and their format is pretty easy to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

In a metadata preset, if GPS is checked:

johnrellis_0-1678745729594.png

then the coordinates shown overwrite the GPS coordinates of every photo imported with that preset.   If GPS is checked and the field is blank:

johnrellis_1-1678745810078.png

then the GPS coordinates are cleared for photos imported with the preset.

If you uncheck GPS, then that preset won't change the GPS coordinates of imported photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Sod here is follow up question.  I have large number of images taken over past two years with all of the same GPS coords - Northern Scotland.  But true coords are in the NEF files.  Essentaill all files have been edited in LR already.  Is there any way to force LR to read the true coords from the NEF files without screwing up my edits and/or forcing me to do one file at a time?  I can think of a few ansers but dont want to risk messing up what I have done.  So  your expert advice/opinion woould be welcome.  

Thanks for telling me about xmp files being simply text file... I should have realized that.  BTW, what's the origin of the tag "xmp"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JayAFrogel 

If ALL the files with issues are imported as NEF you could do the following.  Backup your catalog first before you try this!!!!   Re-Import ONE file with "Dont Import Suspectd Duplicates" off but import it as DNG.   Then you could use @john beardsworth 's Syncomatic plugin to copy ONLY the GPS coordinates to the NEF.   If it works on one then you could do them all.  Syncomatic setup would be as follows.  Then select the DNGs in Previous Import and Remove/Delete them.

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 11.38.45 AM.jpg

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/syncomatic/://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/syncomatic/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another approach is to use Exiftool:

1. In LR, select all the the .nefs and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

2. Use Exiftool to copy the GPS coordinates from the .nefs' EXIF metadata to their corresponding .xmp sidecars.  This post gives a hint about how to do that:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=2658.0

3. In LR, select all the photos and do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.

Compared to Bob's method, this method avoids creating and importing a large number of DNGs. But this method requires learning Exiftool, which has a steep learning curve. (There are lots of examples at exiftool.org, but that just reduces the time required from many days to many hours :-<)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"what's the origin of the tag "xmp"?"

XMP stands for eXtensible Metadata Platform, an industry standard for storing metadata created by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John - Thanks for help and advice.  For some of my "key" photos I just manually imported GPS coords.  For others - just not going to worry unless I have time on my hands to follow your suggestion re EXIF 🙂  But I will try to learn a bit more about EXIF etc just in casse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines