Exit

GPU accelaration causing problems in the develop module

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 11.3.1 [ 202204181225-f90ebff5 ]
License: Creative Cloud

When I enable the gpu accelaration my my Win 11 machine a get a small duplicate of the image I am working on in the top left corner (See below)

LR GPU error.png

Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.22000
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2.3GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16063.6 MB

I have tried updating the video drivers and changing from the Studio drivers to the Game drivers on the Nvidia RTX 3070 card but it makes no difference. 

thanks,

Luis

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

The bug goes away if you disable the gpu. I have the same problem if I use either one of the video cards (Intel or Nvidia) that I have on the laptop. I don't think that both gpus can be broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Adobe can't fix issues with bugs in drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you disable GPU, it goes away? 

If so, it's a bug with the GPU itself. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug goes away if you disable the gpu. I have the same problem if I use either one of the video cards (Intel or Nvidia) that I have on the laptop. I don't think that both gpus can be broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the issue to go away, either disable the GPU's or roll back to earlier version of LR. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solves the immediate problem but it defeats the purpose of gpu accelaration does it not? In my opinion Adobe should fix the issue with gpus. And I don't even want to mention the issues with the 4k monitor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can't fix issues with bugs in drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@luisrlebron wrote:

The solves the immediate problem but it defeats the purpose of gpu accelaration does it not? In my opinion Adobe should fix the issue with gpus. And I don't even want to mention the issues with the 4k monitor. 

Yes, GPU speeds up operations, more and more functionality is moving to GPU in each release. So you have a bug in YOUR GPU and you have a few options which were provided; roll back, disable GPU, get the GPU bug fixed by the manufacturer. Your call. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one more option. Use someone else's photo editing program. This reminds me of work. The software guys/gals blame the hardware for issues and the hardware guys/gals blame the software for issues and nothing gets solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@luisrlebron wrote:

I have one more option. Use someone else's photo editing program. 

Go for it. No one is forcing you to update your software or use a specific product. You came here to get answers about a bug affecting your GPU with Lightroom Classic (which isn't affecting everyone BTW).

You got correct answers. The rest is up to you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as side note Photoshop works beautifully with the graphics card. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@luisrlebron wrote:

Just as side note Photoshop works beautifully with the graphics card. Go figure.

What's one got to do with the other? Do you believe that GPU support in LR and Photoshop are the same, based on what code base you've viewed? 

Perhaps your understanding of the Adobe code base can explain why this isn't an issue for so many other users?

Go figure indeed. 

The bottom line:

@luisrlebron wrote:
The bug goes away if you disable the gpu.

Bingo. 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm with Luisrlebron on this one. I'm on a Macbook Pro with an M1 Max processor and I get this problem. Not using the GPU is not a solution, especially for clunky Adobe software. It's hard to believe that even mainstream GPUs are being disregarded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worth repeating a correct answer: Adobe can't fix issues with bugs in drivers. They exist. There is a temporary fix (disable GPU) which is why that option exists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have exactly this issue with the same card. I've tried studio and game ready drivers. What's more is that even if I disable GPU, the presets in the develop module don't seem to really work. There's a twirl down arrow on each type of preset and when I mouse over, the arrows disappear. Even when I can get to a preset and click to apply, nothing happens. I can manually adjust the image, but the presets aren't working even with GPU off. 

Something is definitely amiss as here we are a year later from the original post and still the same behavior. I wonder if it's something to do with the specific card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines