• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU for image processing is Greyed out even though minimum specs are met [branched to new thread]

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is greyed too

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 21.44.49.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 21.41.11.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Everything is at the latest version - Windows, all drivers, LR etc.

I can see that Adobe have acknowledged it's a known bug.  Just as well as my 1060 card should have blown away any minimum specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because you are still using High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I use hackintosh and wait to release catalina but maybe i should replace intel parts with AMD. Will this option greatly improve the performance of the application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not improve everything (yet), but it will improve image processing in the Develop module. It should have no effect on some other areas like exporting, which is still mostly CPU-dependent. But they might GPU-accelerate that later.

I will add that running macOS 10.14 Mojave is not enough on its own. It must be macOS 10.14.6 or later, because the checkbox won't enable on 10.14.5. It appears to depend on specific code Apple has added very recently in the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how does this impact me who has exactly the same problem on Win 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know because I don't use Lightroom in Windows, but you should refer to the continuing discussion, especially the post below by dfranzen_adobe who, obviously, works for Adobe.

While GPU acceleration can be unavailable on both Mac and Windows, the exact causes for each platform are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stepbar  wrote

So how does this impact me who has exactly the same problem on Win 10?

After you get that GPU drive updates, see if it works, report back yes or no, and if no, include your system information (from LR, at least first line down to just before plugin info)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is at the latest version - Windows, all drivers, LR etc.

I can see that Adobe have acknowledged it's a known bug.  Just as well as my 1060 card should have blown away any minimum specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is greyed out too.  I'm running Windows 10 (fully up-to-date), i7 3400MHz, 32GB, Nvidia GTX 1060.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As Jon has pointed out above, please update the operating system to a more recent version to take full advantage of the GPU.
Please read this article for more info: OS support for Creative Cloud 2019 apps

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They want that: "Creative Cloud 2019 apps require macOS Sierra (10.12) or later" I have 10.13.3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not OS Specific - I'm on windows with the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Have you treid adding Lightroom to Nvidia or AMD Control panel? Please check this Photoshop troubleshooting article and try
Step 7: Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My graphics card was released August 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1stepbar  wrote

My graphics card was released August 2016.

And you have not updated? Why?

From previous posting in this discussion, NVIDIA  GTX 1060?

You should have an NVIDIA application called GeForce Experience. That application might itself be in need of an update. You should be able to use it to check for an update.

Windows 10?

At NVIDIA current driver:

Version:431.60  WHQL
Release Date:2019.7.23
Operating System:Windows 10 64-bit
Language:

English (US)

And from release notes, supports DirectX 12 and OpenGl 4.6

And latest OS? as in not 1511 and not 1607

Lightroom Classic system requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stepbar  wrote

From the Problem report over at the feedback web page. Windows 7 users are having heavy TROUBLE

Lightroom Classic 8.4: GeForce GTX 750ti - Graphics Card not supported | Photoshop Family Customer C...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need MacOS 10.14 or later for the "Use GPU for image processing" check box to be enabled, and 10.14.5 or later is recommended.

I don't think the GPU FAQ document for Lightroom Classic 8.4 makes this information very clear, and I'm working with the documentation team to improve that page.

In the meantime please refer to the "Considerations for Graphics Processor (GPU)-accelerated features | Camera Ra1 11.4" system requirements at this link:

Camera Raw system requirements

With respect to these two checkboxes, Camera Raw 11.4 and Lightroom 8.4 have the same requirements.

In addition to that, I do not know if on macOS the Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti will support Metal. I have not been able to test this configuration. This page from Apple documents Mac that support Metal: Mac computers that support Metal - Apple Support

For folks running Windows, note that Windows 10 is a requirement for the 2nd check box "Use GPU for image processing." We have seen reports that some folks still using Windows 7 are not able to use the first check box "Use GPU for display," and that matter is under investigation.

Thanks for your patience,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 0.48.32.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 0.47.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be overlooking this bit of info from your screens-shots

What driver version for that GPU,

A NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti should blow away the maximum specs, should come up as full acceleration.

My lower model 1070Ti works on my Windows 10 rig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll wait for the new MacOS Catalina (10.15) to be released and replace the 1080 with Radeon VII so I can install the latest OS

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 1.13.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could Adobe reinforce that bot over at the feedback page

Lightroom Classic 8.4: GeForce GTX 750ti - Graphics Card not supported | Photoshop Family Customer C...

And can Adobe verify or correct an arrant assumption that DirectX 12 is required, as opposed to OpenGl 3.3?

And, yes, nagging, if on a Windows 7 rig, the GPU INFO as shown in LR, just before the plug-in info should or should not be empty (vendor, etc)

ahh, I made an assumption based on handle name including Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of about 3 hours ago, officially a known issue. See comment by simonsaith, currently at the end of:

No Graphics Acceleration v8.4

simonsaith  wrote

Thanks all for help troubleshooting and providing the log files to us. At this point, we can confirm that if your OS, GPU card and driver version does not support the DirectX 12/Metal, then the OpenGL based GPU acceleration fallback is no longer available in the latest LrClassic 8.4 release (also applies to ACR 11.4, LrCC 2.4). Although this is recognized as a bug, but the team has planned to drop OpenGL support in the next release. The reason is that some OS vendors have make it public that they will deprecate the OpenGL API soon.

Practically, this typically means the bug will show up if you have a Windows 7 OS and/or older version of GPU card or driver. There is currently no known workaround for the bug. The team is investigating possible temporary relief. For the long term, customers are strongly recommended to consider updating your machine to the latest Windows and macOS and GPU drivers to take advantage of the possible GPU performance gain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem for Windows 10.

2019-11-23_12h29_59.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution to this problem for Windows 10 by brute force.

Follow the following steps :

1. Close all the Adobe Applications.
  2. Open "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\GPU"
  3. Then in each of the folders present in this folder there are "Camera Raw GPU Config.txt" files
  4. Open each one of those and find the line "crs:gpu_compute_quick_self_test_passed="False"/>"
  5. Change the "False" to "True" ie. "crs:gpu_compute_quick_self_test_passed="True"/>"
  6. Save the file and start the Adobe Applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines