• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hard drive format conversion.

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my Lightroom images stored on an external SSD. I have backed these up to Icedrive Cloud storage. As new images are added I would like to sync these to my cloud storage. To set up syncing, Icedrive says I must convert my SSD from FAT to NFTS format. Will doing this disrupt my files or Lightroom Classic function, does anyone know?

Thanks

P.S. Using windows 10

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reconsidered answer and deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to your favorite internet search engine, type in

change from FAT to NTFS

You will find lots of instructions and information on doing this.

Whatever you do, please make backups of everything on that SSD before you start; backups must be on a different physical disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing other than SD cards and thumb drives should be formatted using FAT when dealing with Windows since NT 4.0.   I'm guessing the drive shipped that way.

In any case I just took a look at icedrive and all I can say is I hope you have symmetric gigabit and no bandwidth limits because with the amount of random writes that happen on any drive attached to any modern OS your computer is going to be syncing minor changes 24/7.  Full drive mirror over the net seems ridiculous given the awful bandwidth  you can get at residences.   They probably require NTFS so that journal data can be used to optimize storage patterns on their end, which makes it likely to be implemented as an error-prone lower filter driver...   And have fun when microsoft pulls a...  Microsoft and pushes a Win 11 update that auto-upgrades drives to ReFS (or just changes the NTFS journal to be incompatible and unaware programs corrupt the new format, they actually did that not too long ago) and converts all disks to a storage space jbod or whatever nonsense they decide to pull.

Personally I'd just buy a NAS box that supports RAID5 or 6 with a hot spare and schedule backups, but I trust cloud storage providers as far as I can throw their server farms.

If cloud is your thing that's cool but this particular provider raises some major red flags with me...   Just saying as someone who's been burnt before by roughly 30 companies and is mostly charcoal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right. The formatting was what the drive shipped with.

There I was, with my limited tech knowledge, thinking I was doing the right thing to arrange back up off my home premises for greater security.

Yes, the back up is taking forever, and not all files and folders were uploaded from the external drive in the first run. I am continuing to complete the back up now I am this far in. I do not intend to re-format the drive but will try to remember to add new images to the cloud as they appear on my PC.

I have paid up front for one year when I will review the question.

Thanks for the replies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had another hard drive that was NTFS formatted. I copied the contents of the other drive to this one and sync pairing with Icedrive was then possible.

I tried syncing to upload a couple of additional new images and it immediately started to upload all 6000 odd images once more! Process aborted and now in dialogue with Icedrive support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines