• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having issues where the exported images are way darker than what I have edited.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have an issue with LR CC where you export a photo but the export photo is way darker than it should be? Out of 600 photos, a good 30 or so are darker. It's not my export settings or monitor. I check back with my browser, photo viewer, and dropbox it to my phone but the resulting images seem darker than what I edited to.
I have to offset the images by exposure to almost +4 to get it to look right after exporting it.
1.PNG
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I purged it, even made a new purge folder. I turned off the GPU but it still had the same effect.

Tried everything listed on my Mac as well and it did the same thing. It's just a weird offset somewhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stevenphamphoto wrote:

So I purged it, even made a new purge folder. I turned off the GPU but it still had the same effect.

Tried everything listed on my Mac as well and it did the same thing. It's just a weird offset somewhere

Yeah this does look like a bug. As said, I see the incorrect bright version that you see all the time, for a few seconds. It is then immediately gone never to return in the same session. Strangely when I quit Lightroom and reopen it, it shows the too bright version (the correct version is the dark one!) again and disappears again. Somehow your machine gets stuck in whatever it does initially on mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather frustrating but when I apply the preset and just use auto settings, it exports sort of fine. But once I make additional changes, the exported image always looks different. Then again, the previous photo in the set didn't have any issues so some of my work is just stuck in limbo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah weird issue. Does the same thing happen in a new, empty catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made a new catalog and edited the photo to my preferences. Exported fine. 

But when I read the previous XMP, the error had occured again. Maybe it's the XMP file of the edits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be something in the preset that you are using? Did you use the same preset in the empty catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did another test by saving the preset (I use the same preset for everything) into the new catalog, applied it to the one image, and the same error occured but didn't on the other files. 

So maybe it's the raw file? Still stuck in limbo again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

something in your settings in the preset is triggering this. It could be the rather extreme (for a portrait image) highlight recovery setting but hard to say. It is interesting that it didn't happen on the image when you manually did your edits. Can you tell what is obviously different between your image when manually edited and when loading the xmp? I looked at your xmp file from the download link above and I don't see any obvious issues. Looks quite normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Someone else that commented noticed a similar effect. Applying the preset or XMP and it looks fine. But then zooming in, it changes to something way underexposed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not related to your problem but you are making your machine do a LOT of unnecessary work. Smart previews are only used when the originals are not available. In almost all cases building them is just a massive waste of time and a waste of disk space. They are almost never used. Building 1:1 previews is useless if the first thing you do after that is to do any develop edits. The 1:1 previews you made before are now all out of date and will need to be rebuilt. You only need 1:1 previews if your edit workflow is to first step through all your images in library and check all of them for critical focus and never hit develop until you made a first down select. This is a typical workflow for studio photographers but even there there is a faster way to do things. If at any time before you have a downselected set of images you hit develop or do any batch editing, your 1:1 previews are dirty and need to be rebuilt. So best not to build them for most people. 

For almost all people, the best workflow is to only build standard previews or (much faster but has some caveats that your color might change subtly if you go into develop) is to use embedded previews upon import. The latter is super fast and gives you 1:1 previews right away by just using the jpeg previews the camera already generated for you and embedded into the raw files. Ignore smart previews if you never need to do any develop edits while your originals are offline (for example you store your originals on an external hard disk that will not always be connected when you need to edit). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines