• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR Files are similar sizes between compressed raw and standard raw.

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!
I noticed that when I merge 3* 30mb raw files it creates a 100mb HDR file and when I merge 3*15MP C RAW files it also creates a 100mp HDR file. I'm exporting these as DNG.
Is there any way I can seriously reduce the file size?
Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. 

I did test out running Convert to DNG using Lossy Compression, but it actually created larger files. 

Assuming you're happy with the process, you could always render the files and get rid of the HDR work fiile. If you have the Raw files, it can be recreated and the settings could be saved as a Preset if space is really that much of an issue. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you merge to HDR, the raw files are demosaiced to linear RGB and then merged. As long as the pixel size is the same, it does not matter if you use compressed raw or standard raw, because both will be converted to the same size linear RGB file.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines