• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR Merge doesn't work as it did before blending the photos.

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using HDR Merge for sometime now and with some recent changes in the blending process, the photos don't come out close to what they did before.  I can't figure out why and tried everything on my end with no avail.  This has happened not to long ago with a update to LRC so I rolled back to the previous version and it corrected it.  I have to go back to 10.1 to get it working properly.  I know that I have upgraded to later versions but it just started happening in the most recent.  I'm attaching sample videos of what I'm talking about.  Please help as I have to process many files like this every day.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload a set of photos that work as desired in LR 10.1 but not in 10.4.  Upload them to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.  We can verify the issue occurs in other LR installations, and Adobe engineers will have a sample set of photos to reproduce the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. First video

a. You never actually merged, you are just looking at a small, incomplete preview. This early preview is just to give some indication on issues like alignment, ghosts, etc. Bot for actual accurate tonality. You need to actually merge to see what the image will actually look like.

2. Both videos

a. Auto Tone. IMO do not do that. I do not like allowing LrC to adjust all tonality sliders. If it just adjusted exposure, whites, and blacks, perhaps Ok. I do not want LrC to adjust contrast, saturation, vibrance. etc. When I do so in a Photo Merge, I am rarely happy. Mind you, not frilled with Auto Tone post merge either, My workflow post merge would be

• Select desired Profile
  • Adjust WB
  • Adjust Exp
  • Adjust White to prevent clipping (I print, so pure white is bad)
  • Adjust Black to almost prevent clipping
  • Adjust curve as desired
  • Sit back, rethink, continue with edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me state that I’ve been doing this same method for a few years now with
great results. The merge definitely produces the result in the window and
actually looks worse. I’ve unchecked all the boxes as well, which I never
had to do before because it worked. There is a glitch in the updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

The sample files were very helpful.  See Workarounds below for how to avoid the issue.

Summary: There's a small bug in Photo Merge > HDR. When the input DJI Mavic 2 Pro (Hasselblad L1D-20c) DNGs are assigned Profile: Embedded, the merge shows a preview with wrong colors, but the final merged photo shows correct colors.  When the input DNGs are assigned Adobe Color, the preview and the merged photo show correct colors.

Details: LR added supported for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro in LR 10.2.  DNGs from that camera imported in LR 10.1.1 and earlier would be assigned Profile: Embedded, meaning that LR would use the camera profile embedded in the DNG by the DJI camera.  (LR 10.1 shows Profile: Color when it uses the embedded profile, while LR 10.4 shows Profile: Embedded.)

When the input DNGs to Photo Merge > HDR have Profile: Embedded, the preview shows wrong colors, while the final merged photo has correct colors.  If you change the input DNGs to have Profile: Adobe Color, both the preview and the final merged photo have correct colors.

Note that when you import DNGs from this camera in LR 10.2 and later, they will automatically be assigned Profile: Adobe Color by default.

As a test, I imported the sample DNGs into LR 10.1 and observed they had Profile: Color. Then I upgraded to LR 10.4 and observed they had Profile: Embedded.  The Photo Merge > HDR preview shows the wrong colors, but the final merged photo (upper-left) shows correct colors.  Then I changed the DNGs to have Profile: Adobe Color, and both the preview and the final merged photo (upper-right) have correct colors:

johnrellis_0-1634156986811.png

Workarounds

1. Before doing Photo Merge > HDR, assign the input photos Profile: Adobe Color. To do that, select the files and go to Develop. In the Basic panel, change the first photo to Profile: Adobe Color. Click Sync and select Treatment & Profile (and no other box).

2. Or ignore Photo Merge > HDR's preview -- the final merged photo will have correct colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines